Air-ride pump sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know where I can purchase this new bush mounting kit? Is this through ford? Ill take this route then if the sound persists ill replace the compressor.

Here is a link to my local Oreillys Auto Parts

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...385333_2908&keyword=air+suspension+components

They list the kit of three isolators at $26.99.

Suncore Industries also carries them they list for $18.75 for the kit of three as well.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/20F-52-Ford-compressor-vibration-isolator-kit.php

Hope that helps a bit.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a early 2000 STS caddy with air ride and the compressor ran alot. Like any system that has to be closed, it was a leak. The easielst way to find one ... in my youth i worked at tire shop..

grab a bucket, dish soap and water and a cheap paint brush. mix it up (lots of soap) brush it on all connections, hoses etc.. bubbles are easy to spot with some soap. Take you about 15 minuts with an Expy.. the caddy took awhiel aas it had to be jacked up to do anything.

A cheap dollar store spray bottle works really good for this as well, and agreed this is the best way to find any leaks. Don't forget to spray the bags as well to see if they are cracked or have started to dry rot.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My original compressor starting making unusual noises too, but it wasn't from the isolator, but it actually wearing out. In other words, it mechanically self-destructed and when I took it apart, the one and only connecting rod had sheared in two. Went w/ Arnott Industries and got the rear package (pump/dryer/rear bags). http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid1_pid2.html
I also had to replace the union connector which is under the master cylinder, a $21 part from Ford that also fails over time on the earlier generations.

Jeremy0811

Reaction score
I have a 98 Expy XLT and i had the same problem..I dont do much hauling or pulling so I switched the air bags out for conventional springs. I put new shocks in the rear and got the springs from a junk yard. Both springs cost 25 bucks compared to $280 a piece from the parts house.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the air ride suspension. You can replace the entire system, airbag's, front shock's, compressor etc. for just a bit over what a conversion will cost. I've found the entire kit for $680.00. If you do convert, the Expedition will sag with a load and you will miss the air ride.

how about no.... a conversion kit is $200 and its really dumb to take the time to replace the system when coils work just as well.

I tow a 5000lb boat with my truck and yeah the rear sags a little bit but I wouldnt trade sagging with a load for sagging all the time with a POS air suspension... Not to mention If you ever do any kind of offroading it sucks to have air suspension because it tries to level the truck when off camber.

How many threads did you post about fixing your air suspension problems?
Most of us dont want to go through that when there is a more reliable, cheaper, and EASIER way to go.

monroe part numbers 90006, 90010, 90005
4wd, 4wd, 2wd. respectively

OP
OP
C

celticfdguy

Reaction score
So i got rid of the loud sound... I had to replace the rubber gromets.

However, now i have a new issue. I noticed the rear end of my 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer was sagging.. after getting in the truck I noticed the air-ride pump was not kicking in.

I looked at the pump and noticed the thick rubber hose wasnt connected to the black tank looking thing on the pump. I reseated that but the pump still did not turn on.

What could my issue be? Do you think the power connection could of loosened up? Could a fuse have blown? I have a list of things i need to fix on this damn thing and I really hope the suspension is now not one of them...

Any ideas are appreciated. I plan on taking it apart tonight to see if i can find the issue... but i cant figure out how to test to see if this pump is still good.

Also - how bad is it for my truck to be riding with the rear end down and no air in the suspension?

OP
OP
C

celticfdguy

Reaction score
And the weird thing is... the front isn't sagging at all...

Here is a pic
2012092009561865.jpg

Last edited: