Air susp compressor runs more often?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jprix82

Reaction score
Lately it seems my air suspension compressor has been running more than usual.
I havent yet sprayed soapy water around to check for leaks but i did turn off the susp switch for a couple days,and i didnt notice any ''sagging.
I also noticed that the check susp light comes on sometimes while parked on an incline.

Does this sound like a common problem?

1998 5.4 eddie bauer expedition

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the same about my truck. The other day the compressor kicked on while I was sitting at a red light. Don't recall this happening before, but then again our Expy is my wife's daily driver. Hopefully it's just my imagination.

Please follow up with any update and I will do same.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like you have a leak in either one or both your bags

soapy water helps. but the best way is the jack up the rear and let the wheels hang to extend the bags fully. there you will see any splintering on the bags

OP
OP
J

jprix82

Reaction score
Would it be possible to just grab a pair of coil springs from the junkyard from a non air ride expedition and just buy new front and rear shocks from the auto parts?

I noticed alot of the "conversion" kits have a strut type shock for the front,is there a reason for this?

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can pull your air ride parts and replace with really any shock of the right size and caliber.

The front shock is literally just the shock. even on the air ride, there is a front spring so the engine does not bounce too much, so you do not need to add a spring, only replace the shock.

The rear requires you to add the spring as well as the shock, hence the different style of shock. The front will take you longer to take apart than put back together, the rear is where it gets fun, but it is not hard.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did not remember posting here on this 2 years ago. Apparently there was no problem with the air ride.

Since then I have replaced most of the front end (2nd time around), bought new tires and had an alignment done on my '01. All done last August at 142k. Got a "check suspension" indicator on the very next highway trip. The MIL is intermittent and only appears on the highway.

Since the handling and ride are unaffected I'm waiting out the occasional MIL.

Any suggestions other than "do the conversion" are welcome.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately it seems my air suspension compressor has been running more than usual.
I havent yet sprayed soapy water around to check for leaks but i did turn off the susp switch for a couple days,and i didnt notice any ''sagging.
I also noticed that the check susp light comes on sometimes while parked on an incline.

Does this sound like a common problem?

1998 5.4 eddie bauer expedition
Yulp... something is wrong with air suspension and it keeps airing up... do conversion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shabadoo

Reaction score
What are the air temperatures? Before my compressor died the second time I noticed the suspension light only came on when it was sub 30 - 40 F. I drove between VA and FL a lot in a short period of time so it was noticeable. I see you originally started this post in October and are bringing it up again in October. Possibly you're seeing the same thing I did. Oddly enough, this never happened with the first compressor (which was the original), only the replacement.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are the air temperatures? ... I see you originally started this post in October and are bringing it up again in October...

I appreciate the insight re ambient temperatures. I did have a compressor issue once in single digit temps and wound up replacing a cooked relay. That was in February a few years back. October temperatures here in southern New England have been 70-80 degrees and the original compressor on my '01 is working normally. Pretty sure I have a height sensor issue, either electrical or mechanical. The sensor mount on the front control arm was involved with the ball joint replacement I did and I cannot rule out that the problem may have been similarly caused during the alignment. Either way I don't see a wanton system changeout in this truck's future.

Thanks again for not hating on air ride with the standard "do the conversion" reply.