Anti Lock Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a way to disengage the ABS on my expy. I personally do not like ABS, and I have had some issues before. Does anybody else have this same issue?

Thanks
Zerick

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ABS light has been on for about 5 years, so I have no ABS. The problem is an ECHU unit. If I remember correctly they wanted 400 some dollars for the part. If it is working I would recommend leaving it working. Stopping a tank like ours while going downhill in snow or rain can be quite a challenge. I've had to downshift before.

kargh

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a way to disengage the ABS on my expy. I personally do not like ABS, and I have had some issues before. Does anybody else have this same issue?

Thanks
Zerick

I'm with you on this. I hate the ABS in my '98. Occasionally, when it does decide to kick in (and usually its completely random in the winter -- once or twice a season) it pumps the brakes so violently that the next time I try to stop, I can't even budge the pedal unless I put both feet on it and push it down as hard as I can.. then maybe it'll slow down. And this is from a guy who weighs in the 270 range.

I keep saying that its going to get me killed (or someone else) someday but I'm not really sure where to begin looking to fix it.