Any threads/write-ups on Timesert in cyl 4 or 8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackhead

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do the plugs on our new ride and am educating myself of the possible repairs if all does not go as planned. If I end up having to Timesert cylinder 4 or 8, has anyone done it in the truck or does anyone have a link to a write-up or video showing how to do it in those holes. You can barely get back there with tools to change plugs, I couldn't imagine getting machine tools back there to cut threads, etc. Thanks.

OP
OP
C

crackhead

Reaction score
It's a 2001 with the 5.4. I know the premise of the timesert and how it works, my question is how in the world one gets their hands and tools in place in order to do cylinders 4 and 8, or hell 3 and 7 for that matter.

I'll check out the magnetic spark plug socket. That looks pretty slick.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
take the intake off and do the gaskets and coolant hose while you're there. it will clear so much space to work. and save the trouble later down the road. I had a problem with a plug that had gunk corroded to the actual bolt head of the plug and couldn't get it out till I had the intake out (failed coolant gasket and rusted out hose.)

I would just be sure you get the new plugs to torque spec and hope the previous ones were in there to spec. you should be fine if that's the case. My PO had the service done at the ford dealer he bought it from so I got lucky.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... how in the world one gets their hands and tools in place in order to do cylinders 4 and 8, or hell 3 and 7 for that matter...

I wondered the same thing until I changed the plugs myself. Coupled with all the moaning about the job I heard, looking at #4 & #8 I dreaded doing it. Once I got going I found it wasn't hard, just slow. There is more room to work than you think. I did not need to move the fuel rail.

Raise the rear end of the truck on ramps to drop the nose and it will be a little more comfortable to work under the hood.

I tried taping ratchet extensions and swivels together in the past to reach a plug on this engine. No need to do so with the gearwrench tool. You won't need a piece of fuel line to start and finger tighten the plugs or worry about cross threading. The magnet is very secure and the extension is cross hatched for easy grip. This socket is made for this job and is a no brainer at the price.

OP
OP
C

crackhead

Reaction score
I would just be sure you get the new plugs to torque spec and hope the previous ones were in there to spec. you should be fine if that's the case. My PO had the service done at the ford dealer he bought it from so I got lucky.

At least 1,2 and 5,6 have Motorcraft branded coils on them still, so there is a chance it was done at the dealer (or never done at all).

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with removing the intake manifold. Then you have so much room and you can clean up your engine while your at it. I got mine off in an hour and a half but that was after i had removed it the day before in like 4 hours or so and had no idea what i was doing. Hint, when removing the EGR tube coming off the driver side exhaust manifold, you don't need to completely remove it. If you just unbolt from the top you good to go.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Raise the rear end of the truck on ramps to drop the nose and it will be a little more comfortable to work under the hood.

This sounds like an excellent idea. I was trying to figure out how to hover over the engine. Anyone ever take the front wheels off and drop the front end down low?

OP
OP
C

crackhead

Reaction score
Took care of it last night. No Timeserts needed. All 8 came out and went in as planned. I didn't have any problems reaching anything, I just used a folding chair to stand on and it worked perfectly. And BAD RONALD deserves a beer for the mag spark plug socket suggestion. I bought one and it made life soo much easier. Thanks.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...BAD RONALD deserves a beer for the mag spark plug socket suggestion. I bought one and it made life soo much easier.

Tell you what, I'll have TWO beers this afternoon for the socket suggestion.

The plug change is not easy, but nowhere near as hard as all the whining about it would lead to believe.