Any tips or pitfalls in replacing the rear UPPER trailing arms? (control arms)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the lowers last year. Now the uppers need replaced. Any tips? Doing this on the street with jack stands.

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get some straps

You are going to need to pull the axle into place to get the new ones in I used ratchet straps around the tow hitch... not hard

gunslinger929

Reaction score
Was able to get mine in without much cranking. just the jack... getting the old ones off? Much tougher. The nut that holds it on the axle is that dumb nut/clip. Both of mine snapped on first torque. and the way they're made, had little flanges on the nut that minimized wrench seating. Butane torch helped loosen. LOTS of PB blaster...

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
best tip get a good electic or battery operated hack saw cut and replace the bolts. i had to use a 3/4 inch impact gun to break mine free

Elwoodsherman

Reaction score
Straight forward replacement. One side at a time usually minimizes axle wrap, thus making it easier to replace. Just make sure your jack stands are under the frame not the rear end. Use a jack to move it a little.