anyway to turn off the interior light when door is open ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I was vacuum and detail the inside the truck, about an hours my battery is so weak, that I cant crank , had to get it jump. Tomorrow july 4 I will open the tail gate for couple hours for pinic... anyway to disable the interior light ?

B

bedrck46

There is a way to do it but by the time you get this it may be to late
On the lighter side you could consider removing all the lights that come on.

On the serious side it may be possible to remove a relay or two while you have the doors/tailgate open I will look at my prints and see what I can find At present I am away camping but hopefully will have a reply before the night is out

Also if your battery can not hold a charge for the hour or two that the light are on you may want to have the battery load tested or consider a new battery

I'll try to get back to you in an hour or two

B

bedrck46

I think the tail gate switch can be put in a off position You could also remove Fuse 21 and 24 and this should remove power to the interior lights Just make sure you have a flash light so you can see when it comes time to reinstall the fuses in the dark

Hope this helps

B

bedrck46

The purpose of the dimmer switch is to limit the voltage that goes to the lights but there is still voltage present in the circuit. Don't be surprised if you still have a problem with the battery even though you turned the light off with the dimmer switch. From your original post it sounds like your battery is weak. I would check the battery and if needed replace it also check all your connections as that also would cause battery/starting problems. Again play it safe and pull the two fuses I mentioned above

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the dimmer switch is to limit the voltage that goes to the lights but there is still voltage present in the circuit. Don't be surprised if you still have a problem with the battery even though you turned the light off with the dimmer switch. From your original post it sounds like your battery is weak. I would check the battery and if needed replace it also check all your connections as that also would cause battery/starting problems. Again play it safe and pull the two fuses I mentioned above

Actually if you turn the instrument panel dimmer all the way down and then a little farther, it will click and completely turn off all of the interior lights and the puddle lights on the mirror if so equipped.

B

bedrck46

Thanks Andy nice to know that.
But it doesn't work that way on my 01 of course that may be a change that ford did on the 2nd gens