Apple TV in Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone connect an Apple TV to their truck?
Just curious about results and best ideas.
I was thinking about this as well. Hardest part is getting the AppleTV to connect to some kind of Wifi connection. Would you do Personal Hotspot from an iPhone or something? And data would get sucked up quickly doing that. And if you want to do AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad you still need a common wifi connection that both can connect to. Maybe install a dummy Netgear wifi router that broadcasts wifi signal and gives devices IP's but doesn't have internet connection and then connect both the AppleTV and the other device to it and probably can do AirPlay. If you connect and iPhone to the Wifi though you'll have trouble getting notifications/iMessage's/etc because it will be connected to the wifi and it will take dominance over the 4G/LTE connection to the cell provider.

OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about this as well. Hardest part is getting the AppleTV to connect to some kind of Wifi connection. Would you do Personal Hotspot from an iPhone or something? And data would get sucked up quickly doing that. And if you want to do AirPlay from an iPhone or iPad you still need a common wifi connection that both can connect to. Maybe install a dummy Netgear wifi router that broadcasts wifi signal and gives devices IP's but doesn't have internet connection and then connect both the AppleTV and the other device to it and probably can do AirPlay. If you connect and iPhone to the Wifi though you'll have trouble getting notifications/iMessage's/etc because it will be connected to the wifi and it will take dominance over the 4G/LTE connection to the cell provider.

Thats exactly what I was thinking... will probably play around with it a little in the next couple weeks. Havent even had a chance to turn on the monitors yet let alone sit in the back seat! lol
Will let ya know how it goes... if it goes at all.