Audio freak out on start up: Max volume popping + white noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
That's one way to wake up in the morning. I had to shuffle our cars for the week ahead and got in our Expedition after it sat since Friday. I started the car, the 4A screen started up as normal, but instead of the radio or CarPlay coming on I heard a couple very loud POP POP POP noises before settling into very loud white noise.

Startled, I immediately tried to turn the volume down. The volume knob was showing zero already, with no change to the noise. I tried to tap the power button in the middle of the dial, and there was no change. I tried swapping from SiriusXM to CarPlay, no change.

At this point my ears are basically bleeding, my Apple Watch is buzzing at me about too loud of an environment, I ultimately try a hard reboot of the 4A screen (hold Vol. down + next track buttons on steering wheel) and again, no change. At this point I turn the car off, get out, and go through the cycle again, hoping the glitch would fix itself. Again, no luck, immediately on accessory power the loud white noise reappears. I take one last poke into the settings screen of 4A and notice that the audio tab is greyed out. Great, now at least I know there's clearly a fault somewhere such that 4A doesn't even recognize a sound system.

Defeated and now ready to research hearing aids for the rest of my life, I lock the door and go about my morning.

I did a quick search here and came up with nothing. But searching google I found a ton of folks having similar issues on F150s

It doesn't appear there's a known/easy resolution. Some folks have had entire Amps replaced, others not so much. Anyone else heard of this on our Expeditions?

rogerkimble

Reaction score
I had the same issue yesterday with my Android phone connected via Bluetooth. What a horrible experience. Not sure what we did to resolve the issue since we were trying everything we could think of including restarting the car and connecting my girlfriends iPhone.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a fix out for this. The dealer has to update the DSP (Amp).

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the reprogram done to mine after having the loud static. They told me it only works about 60% of the time and the other 40% they have to replace the amplifier. It hasn’t happened since though so that’s good. We will see, it’s only been about 6 weeks.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone had this happen when the passenger door was opened. My wife went to get in the truck yesterday and when she opened the door there was a very loud bang, almost like something smashed the top of truck, and then the static, popping noises. It didn't go away so we took her car to the store. When I got back the noise was gone and when I started the truck up everything was normal. It was as if something shorted out when she opened the passenger door.