Automatic Liftgate Won't Stay Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckersey

Reaction score
I have a 2010 EL Limited. When I open the automatic liftgate, it goes most of the way up, then starts chiming like it has hit something and then immediately closes. I have pulled the fuse, and take the battery out hoping to reset it, but it still acts up. There is no way to manually open the liftgate, so I have to get it fixed. Anyone ever run into this?

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try putting some oil or grease on the hinges and make sure that there is no leaves or sticks ect. up in the top between the roof and the top of the back door. also look at the lift supports ( the two shock looking pistons) maybe spray some wd40 on them.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could try the procedure in the service manual to "Intialize" the liftgate.....

Power Liftgate Initialization
NOTE: If the power liftgate feature is turned OFF in the message center, the system cannot be activated with any switches or with the liftgate handle. The system will need to be turned ON for any power operation to occur.

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate under the following conditions:

•A low voltage or dead battery
•A disconnected battery
•Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reset.

NOTE: The power liftgate may also be initialized by carrying out the liftgate/trunk module (LTM) self-test.

NOTE: The battery must be disconnected for 20 seconds before the module will enter the initialization mode.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2.Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery.
3.Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
4.Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
5.Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch

Matt

Slick07

Reaction score
Ckersey,

I had this exact same problem with the power liftgate on my 07 Navigator. it would open about 3/4 of the way start beeping and slam closed. I called the local ford techs and got the bring it in and pay us tons of money to tell you we can't figure it out speech. I followed all the procedures and nothing worked. Finally, I decided to buy new hydraulic rams and that resolved the issue. I found the rams on eBay for $40/ pair and free shipping. The best way is use your local auto parts store to get the part numbers and then search for those. Although, I fixed that issue and the liftgate opens and stays open due to the gate slamming closed it ruined the pinch sensors on the sides of the gate. Just waiting for some cash to fix them up now. Cars are a passion, and repairs are always there. LOL.

OP
OP
C

ckersey

Reaction score
Well I tried disconnecting the battery again and coating all of the parts with WD40, but it still goes halfway up and then. I guess I will have to see if I can find a replacement ram.

The auto power features are nice when they work, but they are a real pain when they quit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Slick07

Reaction score
I think the part numbers I used were from Oreilly's. Part SG304081. Of course I found a pair on eBay for the same price as one. BTW, after replacing the rams, then go through the reset procedure. Hope all goes well.

Plati

Reaction score
No way to open in manually? I have a 2014EL ... I disabled the motor thing and I can open it manually, which is how I get it open. Pull the handle old style. 2010 can't do that?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's better to remove the fuse instead of disconnecting the battery if you are going to reprogram it since you lose all the info in the computer temporarily when you do. After you replace the rams (cheap and easy) you will probably have to reprogram it also.