Bad cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My SES went off, checked the code, showed a bad cat. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors hoping that would fix it, but no. My question is, will my mileage drop with a bad cat? I went from 14 mpg to 12........

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a clogged cat can restrict exhaust flow, making the engine work to pump out the gasses and reducing the mileage as a result. there are ways to check for a failed converter but I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your exhaust smell like eggs? Often failed cats don't scrub out the sulfur like they are supposed to causing stinky exhaust. Also are you down on power?

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a couple of youtube videos about testing cats. Basically, they used an IR heat gun to measure the temp before and after the cat, or you can use a pressure gauge, drill a small hole before and after the cat and measure the pressure differential.