Bamfster's Be All/End All EXP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamfster

Reaction score
Still kinda new around here. I bought a 2001 XLT last fall. One owner, 5.4 and nicely optioned:

attachment.jpg

This project will be a little different from the what I'm used to. I typically go w/a moderate lift and focus on off road capabilities. BUT!, not with this one.

One reason I chose the EXP was for it's interior space compared to the exterior dimensions, plus it has better ground clearance than the GMs and Mopars. (I have had my share of OBS GM trucks).

Over the past year I've basically done all of the basics (yes I do ALL of my own wrenching .... at least for the past 31 years), tune up, trans flush 'n service, front/rear diff service, brake system, etc. This thing is rock solid and has a wonderful ride w/the coil rear susp.

A lot of my comparisons w/the EXP will be based off my last DD, a '97 GMC Yukon.

The end game with my EXP will be a dead nuts reliable daily driver that is capable to pull 5-6K worth of ATVs through The Rocky Mntns., average somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 mpg (not towing, just in DD form), be a consistent bracket racer (I realize 17 to 18 second ETs will be the norm ... not looking for hero #s here, just consistency .... I also have a dedicated drag car) and be able to perform decent in an autocross setting. I know, cake and eat it too mentality.

Base lining the EXP ... dismal 1/4 mile times: 19.60s @ 72 mph, but its fairly consistent. The Yukon, box stock was 18.20s @ 84. Pulling the atvs, (keep in mind I'm in Colorado, mountain passes are as high as 12000' in elevation) this thing is a TURD! The norm is 35 mph, the Yukon would pull them at 50, never any faster, but easily maintained that speed with minimal downshifting to 2nd gear. The EXP downshifts clear to 1st repeatedly ...

I really do like the EXP, but it just doesn't have the stones of the GM. Budget is minimal as with all projects like this .... I need the most bang for the buck here guys. I know the basics will help (more air in/more air out), but what about ecu tuning w/these trucks. Trans control? I have a year before the next family camping trip and a budget of about $1500 or so, bench race this thing with me ....

The Stinker

Reaction score
Good looking ride. I just got my 13 el xlt. I would like to see an avg of 15-16 mpg too. It's my dd also so nothing super weird as far as mods go. What's your list so far?

OP
OP
B

Bamfster

Reaction score
So far all I've done is add read air bags to help some of the jounce and level of out with the trailer hooked up. I put KYB shocks and poly sway bar bushings and end links front and rear....it really did tighten it up.

My short list is headers and exhaust ... I know on the gm tbi trucks that a throttle body spacer helps, but I read on the newer FI trucks they do nothing but make noise. And of course tuning ... Either directly tune ecu or add a tuner. I guess I could just swap in a GM performance E-rod crate engines and call it good LOL.

The Stinker

Reaction score
Got a buddy of mine that does cars sport tuning and such. He's 3 states over so I know he's not trying to sell me anything. He said headers and exhaust system and an economy tune. He said stay away from anything super chips. Also pick up a better filter. If I could up from 13 avg to 16 avg that would be awesome.

OP
OP
B

Bamfster

Reaction score
I did the "gotts" mod a few days ago. Super easy, but honestly, I doesn't drive any different. Took it to the track again last night ... no difference in ET or MPH. Now I'll have to see if anything changes in fuel economy.