Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20Expy

Reaction score
I recently learned about a TSB for rough shifting 10 speeds. Our 2020 had always been rough since we bought it new 50,000km ago at the end of 2019. A lot of people say it's just how it is, so we just grinned when it occasionally clunks and jerks, until I read about stories on this forum that a transmission swap would cost $9000 outside of warranty from @The Yeti :
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...ement-and-or-harsh-delayed-shift.54334/page-3

The rough shifts only happen at lower speeds, either when the transmission downshifts coasting to a stop, or when gently accelerating from slow speeds it would clunk down to a lower gear. We've not had any neutral-out situation or any codes YET, but the shifts you can definitely feel, more or less sometimes. I didn't pay attention to what gear it was in when the clunks happen, but it happened at speeds between 20 km/h to 50 km/h at light throttle or no throttle when coasting.

The thing is, our Powertrain Warranty runs out in less than a year, so if the tranny acts up and started throwing codes right after the end of this year, it would be too late and we will have to pay $9000 to replace or $5700 to rebuild with the new CDF drum. But the other side of me thinks that I have already dealt with these rough shifts for 4 years already, so might as well not mess with it when it only occasionally annoys me. Still, I don't think it would hurt to bring it in while the Powertrain Warranty is still valid, right? The tranny is the only thing that really, really annoys me with the Expy.

Should I bring it in, or should I not mess with it?
Do you think the dealer would go ahead with the TSB, or is occasional "rough shifting" not enough of a symptom for them to continue the service bulletin?
Anyone have a "rough shifting" high mileage Expy with zero problems so far?
If so, has it gotten worse over time?
Lastly, has anyone gotten a smooth shifting 10 speed, especially after the CDF drum was done?
Keep in mind, I'm really shooked after learning that a tranny swap is 9k and that my Powertrain Warranty is expiring in less than a year. Any opinion would be really appreciated, thanks you all!

Last edited:

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2020 MAX Limited was delivered June 18, 2020. We bought it used Dec 7, 2022 with 72K miles on the clock. In the year since, we added 4.5K miles. In our year with the car, we have never experienced any rough shifting. There's no transmission maintenance mentioned in CARFAX. I definitely can say it is completely "smooth shifting" both up and down.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just turned 55K on mine. It's always been smooth. Never feel it shift. That being said, on two occasions recently, it seemed hung up in 5th and then it went to 7th. The other day going up a grade, it needed to down shift, and it just wouldn't. I don't know if that's "normal", or the beginning of the end.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what you are talking about I’ve ridden in some that do it. I’ve witnessed it with Dodge rams and Tahoe’s too.

No clunking in mine so far and it’s been smooth.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brand new 2024 expedition xlt 4x4 has rough downshift from 5 to 3 and 4 to 3 since day one. 4A drive mode can mitigate this problem. I also find premium gas can smooth it a little even with Normal/2H mode.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine shifts smoothly, but I've had three neutral out situations in the year I've owned it. Last one happened in fast moving traffic in Dallas. I dropped it off yesterday hoping they can do the specific TSB for that. Otherwise, never had a clunky shift. Hoping the "Fix" for neutral out doesn't bring a clunky shift.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a clunk just a few times a year. not a big deal. What I don't like about the transmission is there is always about a 1-2 second delay when I switch from D to R for R to actually move the vehicle.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cant you just get a FORD ESP and have it covered after the factory warranty expires?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire