Bench vs. Captains Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
When I was shopping for my '17 toward the end of the model year I had difficulty finding one with the 2d row bench. Not sure if Ford was using up all the Gen3 captain's seats before the Gen4 (2018) but the bench was hard to find. If I routinely used the 3d seat the aisle might be useful but I use the 3d seat so rarely that it remains down and covered with a plastic cargo tray. Having this powered is pretty useless for me but that feature offers more convenience for those who switch from 2 to 3 seats frequently.

I went with the '17 rather than an '18 because it was nearly identical to my '07 -- no learning curve. Heck, it's the same color. ;) I didn't get the long wheelbase as it wouldn't fit in my garage -- then I moved and the standard truck won't fit either.

-- Chuck

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was the first mod I did to my 17 XLT. Unbolted the center piece and stored it in the garage. I have 3 kids and Captains makes it infinitely easier to access the third row. Also, when we travel, a cooler fits nicely in the center aisle so my kids can pass me cold drinks and sandwiches while we drive. I put the bolts back into the floor, then cut up one of the 2nd row floor mats to slip underneath the existing carpet and around the bolts. There is actually a bunch of exposed steel floor pan when the center piece is removed. I then ordered complete carpeted floor mats for the expedition with 2nd row captains chairs and third row floor cover as well. I think I paid 200 or less on ebay for them and they are custom made and fit perfectly around and under the rear seats. When I sell I'll bolt the center back in or just toss it in the rear for the new owner.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I try to post this warning in every one of these 2nd row center seat threads, but it's getting difficult to keep up. LOL There's an EXTRA HOLE under the middle 2nd row seat that isn't plugged by a bolt. When the seat is removed, this creates an opening straight through to the outside world (even if it doesn't look that way, TRUST ME on this!). You need to get a rubber plug for a truck that has Captain's chairs and plug that hole. Otherwise fumes, insects, and mice can get into your truck.

chicagodawg

Reaction score
I try to post this warning in every one of these 2nd row center seat threads, but it's getting difficult to keep up. LOL There's an EXTRA HOLE under the middle 2nd row seat that isn't plugged by a bolt. When the seat is removed, this creates an opening straight through to the outside world (even if it doesn't look that way, TRUST ME on this!). You need to get a rubber plug for a truck that has Captain's chairs and plug that hole. Otherwise fumes, insects, and mice can get into your truck.

Looking at Post #3 on this thread, do you know exactly where this hole is located? I am looking at removing my middle seat, but don't want to expose anyone to fumes/etc. Is it something you can easily see?

os1kne

Reaction score
As has already been said, the captains make 3rd row access much better! Whether the "cost" of losing 1 person of seating makes sense depends upon each person's needs.
Good luck!

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been a long time, so I don't clearly recall. IIRC, at night I was able to see the ground from inside the truck by shining a flashlight through the hole from the top, but only at an angle. There's a structural member just below the hole so at first glance it doesn't look like it goes all the way through to the outside. But, trust me -- it does!