BEST OIL FOR 5.4 Tensioners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m wondering what is the best kind of oil to use if your timing belt tensioners lose a little bit of pressure causing timing belt to rattle a tiny bit at start up

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I use 5W-30 because it feels right and Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube recommends it. Chances are the tensioner seals leak—I pulled everything apart at 100K miles and both tensioners seals were compromised. The evil is chain slap on the plastic guides at startup over time will cause them to crack and crumble. Mine is an 06 now with 123K miles. How many miles on yours?

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Ford expedition two valve I had the heads rebuilt and the guy that did it was supposed to put new chain and belt tensioner‘s and guides but apparently he didn’t or this wouldn’t be happening I just hit 200,000 yah ford mulikoko is great his names Brian he’s from my neck of the woods s/w burbs of Chicago my names Jason nice to meet u I’m watching Brian’s video tonight on a three valve. I’m thinking about attempting to do it myself. If you don’t do something yourself, it will never get done, right

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the tiniest bit of rattle on start up on my '03 when it's been sitting overnight. What I do is hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine 5 to 7 seconds to build up a little oil pressure, then let off the gas and it starts without the rattle. But it's relatively low mileage at just under 92k.