best way to change spark plugs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
always wanted to know and be able to do this myself,looks impossible,any1 knows a good way to change em??

what is the best brand of spark plugs and coil packs to buy??

and what tools are necessary??

thanks..

Tobygot

Reaction score
I replaced my plugs and boots at 70,000 miles and I figured I'd change them out + the coils at 140,000
Do you guy's replace the coils every time you change the plugs?
BTW, the pics on Ebay show the coils w/ the boots attached but the descriptions all say that you are buying the coils and don't say you get boots too. Don't forget the boots. I bought the Duralast brand at Autozone. They also sell the Motorcraft plugs for half the price as the Ford dealers. I think the Duralast boots at Autozone were under $6.00 ea and they are over $21.00 ea at Ford.

As for parts, I use a spark plug socket rather than a rubber hose and I screw them in by hand as far as I can. I bought a brand new one for my plug change and ended up using my super old one because the new one would get stuck on the plugs and it took me forever to get it off. I ended up finding needle nose pliers worked pretty good in the end.
Make sure you have a swivel, lots of extensions, a ladder and an air compressor so you can blow out all the dirt before you take out your plugs.
If you have the 5.4 liter you should buy the Lisle tool at Napa before you start because everyone says you will break off plugs.
I have the 4.6 liter and I had no problem. You shouldn't need to move your fuel rail.

The plugs look really hard to change but once you do it you'll be glad you saved the money. I just sat on my knees on my radiator cover or laid on it with my feet on a ladder. My Expedition cost me less than $100.00 to change the plugs and boots. I paid my local Ford dealer over $650.00 to change the plugs and boots on my F150 with the same engine.

If you need more info you will find alot more on the F150 forums.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much what he said.^ Only thing is that it's the 3V 5.4 that breaks plugs. Shouldn't have an issue with the 2V (on some 03s, and anything before 03).

I think some people have found that taking off the PCM (the computer) helps them with the plugs in the back, passenger side.

As for the COPs in the ebay link, I'm pretty sure they are "complete", or else someone would have said something on the F150 forums. You shouldn't have to change them out every spark plug change, only when they give you problems. Granted, it seems that with the older vehicles, once 1 starts giving you problems, the others might not be far behind. I figure at that point, it's better to order all 8 and have them ready/change them out, than to wait until you really need one, and have to pay 40-50 bucks for just one.

You can get spark plug sockets with swivels built in. I'd probably have one of those, as well as having other swivels of different lengths + spark plug sockets. For my sister's Mustang, the swivel socket was too long for one of the back plugs, so I had to use a shorter swivel + a short spark plug socket. In the end, the more tools, the better. :) If you can, try to torque them a torque wrench to get proper torque. Granted, I've heard that with the older engines, you have to torque them up a bit more than OEM spec, because of the blown out plug issue.

Last edited:

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed the plugs and cop's just a few days ago.

Most is said above.

driverside was pretty quick passengerside # 7 en 8 where a hell of a job.
There was a lot of dirt and stuff and also a couple of hoses etc, could hardly place my hands in there.

Have a lot of patience and some swivels etc. what works the best for you.

Plugs I use are motorcraft AGSF22W I believe on ebay $ 1,25 each and 8 cop's also on ebay $75,-.
engine is runnig great again.

I used a rubber hose to put them in a couple of turns and did the rest with a socket.
Don't forget the anti-seize on the threats and insulating compound on the boots. Keep them flexibel en keeps the water out.

To get more space disconnect the electricalplugs for the fuelinjectors too.

Good luck with the change!

Alex