Big power draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
My 2003 expedition has a big draw that I can't trace back to the fuse block. It will drain the battery stone dead within a day. I am getting by with a battery switch on the positive side. Also, what fuse controls the rear wiper motor? TIA...

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a bad battery - get a load tester or AutoZone or the like can test it for you. Otherwise, bad ground is suspect.

Wiper motor fuse - Relay #1. It’s in your owners manual, page 251.

OP
OP
D

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
Good advice on the battery, but it is brand new and condition has happened after new battery. Rear wiper doesn't work, so I'll pull fuse to make sure motor isn't the cause of my power draw. Thanks!

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Come to think of it, it seems like I’ve read posts over the years of a failed rear wiper motor smoking batteries. I could be recalling incorrectly, but worth a search.

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
Decades ago on my Ford 302 it turned out to be a continuous short in the starter. I found it after finding the new battery to be discharged in a day or so. This was a fairly common problem back then but I don't know about now. Maybe.

OP
OP
D

Dryer Dave

Reaction score
Big thanks to those that replied. I found my power draw. Rear wiper transmission (the unit that attaches to the wiper) was extremely dirty and wouldn't let the wiper turn. The motor that drives it was not in home position and was on constantly. An afternoon of cleaning and reassembly resolved the issue.
An easy way to verify is to pop open the rear glass. When I did this the motor returned to home position as there was no load on the motor.
Thanks!!