Big Tex Brush Guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found one of these on craigslist for $100, said they pulled it off a Silverado, but if I'm reading everything on it right I believe it should fit.

Anyone heard of these or have any experience with this brand? I'm always skeptical when something is 80% new, or however the math works out. Anything I should look out for when buying a used brush guard?

Thanks guys

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Grille-Guard?gclid=CJSR4e7N1KwCFQyFQAodu1Jmrw

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be careful of the measurements for not only bolting to your frame.. were it gets its structural support for front impact... but also for the bars going around the headlight... if they don't line up you could be blocking a lot of the light output from your lights.... but if you can mod it a little and make it fit you got yourself a good deal

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always been a car guy and the expy is my first truck/suv, are the mounting spots fairly universal, or not so much? I know it came off a silverado, and I'm going to obviously check it out before I hand over any cash, but I'm admittedly a complete noob and might not really know what I'm looking at underneath. The headlights should be fairly easy for me to eyeball I'd imagine.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at getting one of those for my truck. when I was looking into it I dont remember it being a one piece fully welded design though that was the reason i avoided that brand. i think the silverados frame is the same in the front but depending on the year i know you had to drill through the bumper to mount a grille guard

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On their website at least is says "Oversize one-piece design and heavy outside welds mean the Big Tex won't bend, flex, or vibrate", so hopefully that's accurate. At this point I'm doing it just for looks, and for a good spot to mount offroad lights. Going to look at it in a few hours, hopefully will be able to get it mounted tonight if it looks good.

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, i got it. talked the guy down to $60, but there will need to be some fab/weld work done to get it to fit right, the local shop said for me to bring it back in about 2 weeks. hoping to keep the project fairly low cost. if i can't i may just try to flip it on craigslist or something

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should look good when its done. I figured it would need some slight work since it attaches to the frame and most arent exactly the same.... BTW, where are you located in Iowa? I'm originally from Le Mars

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm from Cedar Rapids.

The only real modification is the mounting brackets. Ours go into the bottom/top of the frame, whereas Chevy ones go in from the side (at least on this model from an 06 silverado). The guy at the shop guessed about $100 for the work, bringing my total to $175 for a brand new brush guard with wrap around, the only problem is he's booked up so I have to wait a couple weeks.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're a little bit from me then. Sounds like a good deal when its all said and done... I need to get myself one before I total my front end hitting a deer or elk... or a moose. I've been close with more than a few