Binding in four-wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddi

Reaction score
2010 Eddie 5.7 etc. I was having a terrible noise problem drivers side front. Thought it was brakes, nope. Put truck in four-high, noise went away. I installed a new solenoid vacuum valve (mounted on firewall). Went for a test ride, seems ok now. Went to a parking lot and put in four high, when turning front end binds something terrible! Tried some turns that were'nt very sharp also, still binding. Clunking noises too, yikes! Ok in four -auto of course, road not slippery. Any thoughts guys???

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The Ford manual says do not use 4x4 on hard surfaces such as pavement binding will occur

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Binding and tire squeeling while on pavement is completely normal in 4x4. Think about it: When a vehicle is traveling in a circle; the inside tire is traveling less distance. That means the inside tire is making less rotations than the outside tire. When you put your vehicle in 4x4, the wheels are traveling at the same speed making the same rotations. This causes binding on pavement because the wheels are fighting to stay in sync, but the traction doesn't allow it... If you turn a circle though in sand, mud, snow or loose gravel it won't bind nearly as much. Hope this helps!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kindly update your signature line with year model and engine information. This can be done in the USER CP section as this information helps others give you replies specific to your expy

OP
OP
Bigdaddi

Bigdaddi

Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. Binding prob makes sense. Solenoid vacuum valve install seems to have helped with engaging but now I still have some horrible noises coming from that wheel. sounds like loose metal parts grinding and rattleing around. I think the damage has already been done. How much of a project is it to disassemble and replace the damaged parts? Should this be repaired by a pro, or can it be done by a "shade tree mechanic" like myself? Are there any links to disassembly instructions available on the 'ol "inter-web"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigdaddi

Bigdaddi

Reaction score
This is a pic of my noise problem. I picked up a new Moog Front Wheel Hub Assembly at my local Advance Auto Parts. Guy gave me a $15 discount so it was $190 with tax. They have loaner tools too, so I brought home a slide hammer (couldn't have done the job without it). Found this video to use for a reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcNxBq_Wy6g
The only part that tried to give me trouble was the rotor. It was rusted on. I saw two threaded holes in it so I was going to use the slide hammer when I realized that if I just kept slowly turning the bolts I was screwing into those two holes, they were pushing the rotor off !! Why don't all vehicles rotors have those ? The job took me a little less than two hours. And I'm sure i saved myself around $200.

Attachments

• Bad Hub 1.jpg
    Bad Hub 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Hub Replacement 5.jpg
    Hub Replacement 5.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 82

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did the same thing on a Dodge 2500. The driver side hub did not want to come out. We had to break out the torch and air hammer.

OP
OP
Bigdaddi

Bigdaddi

Reaction score
Damn ! guess I got lucky! Although it took quit a few hits with the slide hammer before it even started to move.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck had somewhere in the high 200's for mileage. We were doing the ball joints so the hub had to come out to get the knuckle off. We tried a slide hammer and it didn't work. Then we hooked the hub to a come-a-long and anchored it to a cement pole in my buddies garage. When the truck started sliding we knew it was stuck. Everyone got antisieze when it went back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2