BLIS Bracket Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCNOCO

Reaction score
We just bought a "new to us" 2022 Expedition Max XLT. When I brought it home, I noticed that the driver's side BLIS indicator was a bit wonky. Upon inspection, I saw that the bracket that holds the sensor had been broken and the blis sensor was barely hanging on. Truck had been hit or previous owner backed into something. No other damage I can see under there aside from the blis bracket being broken apart. While I was able to remove the lower portion of the bracket (via releasing the clip on the left side in the picture below), I found that releasing the upper visible clip (clip on the right in the picture) did not release the remainder of the broken bracket - it was still firmly attached. The bracket was still stuck to the truck.

As you can see in the picture, there is an attachment point on the bracket that is a round hole. Where that hole is - the bracket apparently attaches to the truck in an area that is inaccessible from underneath (at least visibly accessible). The two clips you can see on the bracket are visibly accessible. Releasing the lower clip (clip on the left in the picture) allowed the larger broken piece of the bracket to come out. The other clip (right in picture) won't release the remainder because apparently the portion of the bracket with the round hole attaches to the truck somewhere and access is blocked and you cannot get to nor see where it might be attached.

Does anyone know how I can remove the remainder of this bracket so I can order and install a new one? I am cringing because I suspect that a body panel will have to be removed which would be rather unbelievable that Ford would design it that way.

Thank you!

Curtis

1710168900860.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CCNOCO

Reaction score
The bad news I feared turned out to be accurate. If you have to replace one of these brackets, step 1 in the Ford service description is "remove rear bumper". After realizing the extent of the labor cost just to replace this plastic mount, the service manager at the selling dealer is "seeing what we can do to help". Ford did not make these trucks to be very serviceable.

-CC