Blower resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
My front blower went out yesterday. After reading about the blower resistor I checked it out. It turned out to be a loose connection. When I wiggled it, it turned on.
The plug looks like it got hot. Even though it's working I want to make sure theres not a bad connection that will smoke the resisor.
Has anyone replaced this plug with any success?

20180301_171424.jpg

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to rock auto Search under Ford 2011 then expedition Look under electricial connectors I believe what you are looking for is

MOTORCRAFT WPT688 {#3U2Z14S411ZEA)

Also check on ebay using the part number May be cheaper

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A blower resistor or speed control module won't normally make it stop all together, it's usually an intermittent issue at a certain speed. Symptoms are a fan that quits at low speed, gets stuck at a certain speed, or cutting out at a given speed. This connector in your case is your issue if you wiggle it and it turns back on, I've seen a vid on it I will see if I can find it. Ford wants these connector crimped and covered with heat shrink for the repair.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wonder if the blower motor is the trouble & drawing more amps than it should be.

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Go to rock auto Search under Ford 2011 then expedition Look under electricial connectors I believe what you are looking for is

MOTORCRAFT WPT688 {#3U2Z14S411ZEA)

Also check on ebay using the part number May be cheaper
Thanks. I looked on Rockauto but I only found the one for the dial type temp setting. Mine is the climate control. I'll check this one out.

Wonder if the blower motor is the trouble & drawing more amps than it should be.
Yeah... I could be a problem. Or, just a bad connection that got hot. I guess I'll see if I replace the plug and it happens again. I've got it tight for now with a zip tie but I want a permanent repair. I don't want that blower going out when we're driving cross country.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your vehicle is only 7 year's old, isn't it still available from Ford? If you suspect the blower motor pull it and test it, or just replace it, their usually not that expensive.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Ford sells the connector. It's a common problem. The thing just draws a lot of power and melts the connector when it gets slightly tarnished I suppose. Same problem with the first generation trucks. I've soldered on a new one and used shrink tubing that came with the connector. A fifteen minute fix.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would seem to me that if your blower motors not drawing too much amperage, you shouldn't be melting plugs. The only thing that comes to mind is Ford used 1 gauge too small of wire, putting a load on wires and connector. If that's the case, you'd have to run new thicker wires from blower motor to the plug. Plastic is plastic, its just a junction for two wire's to meet. The wires themselves create the heat and are causing the melting, not the connector itself, unless it's of such poor thin quality. Anythings possible if the manufacturer is trying to save a $.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk