Body roll when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clf34

Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the forum and looking for guidance.

Bought a new to me 2016 Expedition Platinum a few months ago and I notice a significant amount of roll/sway when turning at lower speed. Both left and right. example: When Navigating a parking lot, the roll/sway/bobbing back and forth seems excessive, even for such a large vehicle. I feel like i am turning a boat.

Speed bumps and rough road does not cause any bobbing, passengers in middle and third row havnt experienced any launching when going over these straight but have complained of the back and forth on turns.

The shocks/springs look like they are newer. They all have green markings on them and compared to the other surrounding suspension parts, visually they look newer. Not sure if anyone knows if green means good on the markings from a suspension (from a mechanic stand point).

When driving straight and stopping, there isn't any bobbing or bounce. Turning is another story, bouncy and swaying. I do have some steering vibration when driving on the highway but the vehicle drives in a straight line.

Any advice on what to look for or personal experience? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dahammer

Reaction score
What your description sounds like, I would check the sway bar and bushings on the rear end and front end.

Adam J

Reaction score
i just installed Hellwig antiroll bar upgrades on my 2016 SSV. I did the rear first and I'd say that's the bigger victory as the factory bar flexes quite a bit. The Hellwig rear bar isn't a ton thicker, but the metallurgy is superior and way stiffer. As for the front factory bar - it's substantial. The upgrade replacement bar from Hellwig is even more substantial. Both installs are pretty easy and they provide instructions and assembly grease for the new bushings. Best pricing at jeep and truck parts dot com.

Ryan L

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Limited and felt the same when I first got it years ago. It does not have air suspension. Vastly different ride than the import brands I was used to, and turns out it’s a normal characteristic. Test drive a similar model year and suspension type if you can, and you’ll know right away if there’s a problem.