brake hard line flare nut size and left wheel brake issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week I replaced the calipers on the truck due to the wheel being really tight. It helped a bit but still not right. When I pump the brakes up and open bleader there is back pressure so I am going to replace the flexible hose. it won't hurt anything.. Its 17 years old! parts Cannon has been deployed!! But what the heck size is the flare nut? It is not 1/2", or 12 mm and 13mm is sloppy. I want to get the proper line wrench and a good one so the tolerance are tight. I don't want to buy a junkie set but willing to buy a better doubled ended wrench. I did check loaner tools at advanced and they don't have them. Of course harbor freight has a set. So what size do I get?? I would assume it is a 13mm line wrench. And any known issues please let me know. thanks!!

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I worked on my neighbors 03, I needed a 13mm flare nut wrench for the factory bouble fittings at the abs module and the flex hose. I put in a few double flare unions to make it all fit, they were tighted with 3/8 and 12mm.

I'm pretty sure 13mm flare nut is what you need. However, I couldn't separate the flex hose from the hard line, and replaced it as well when I replaced the front passenger brake line.

Update : It is advisable to spray the threads down with some Pb blaster or atf with acetone. Then let it sit for an hour.

Here is the post from my own thread where I listed the wrenches used.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/index.php?posts/372307

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: