Brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow....I just got done with replacing my two front brakes.

Normally for all the past cars/trucks i've had this is a pretty easy and straight forward job. Not for my expo for some reason. I ran into so many problems it wasn't even funny. Although the fact that my right rotor was so torn up and ground down there were actual chunks of metal falling off the rotor.

For some reason on my right side only the inner brake pad was worn down to the metal while the other side had at least a few thousand more miles on it. Is there a way i can adjust this or is there a problem with my braking system? It's like its braking harder on the inside pad more than the outside one, and it's only on the right side. anyone else every hear of this problem? good thing a new rotor was only 35 bucks lol

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm...on this big of a truck, I'd spend more money...

On the uneven wear, make sure you use the brake pad goop (sorry, don't know the technical term). I had this problem on the front the last time I did them. The pad to caliper contact was dry and not straight. After re-doing the job with the goop, all is well.

I had the rears go to metal on me at the same time as I did the above front brake job....and we just happened to be on a trip. Needless to say, I ended up doing the 4 wheel brake job in my brother's garage.

OP
OP

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 35 bucks wasn't a hook up, it was the regular price at auto zone out here. It's a standard stock replacement rotor. spending more money doesn't always mean better. there were two different types of replacement rotors. a 12mm and a 14 mm, the 12 was 28 bucks and the 14 was 35. Mine takes the 14mm.

I always use the goop normally, but the pads i bought already had the plates put together on the actual pad with the goop shit already on it. so we'll see how these work out.

Today was raining all day long here so it was a good test on the brakes and they work like a champ.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I'd buy hi performance because these are heavy trucks which make warping easy. And I tow so theres more incentive there.

OP
OP

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if they had an option for high performance rotors i would have taken it, but i didnt have that much of a choice lol I needed a rotor right then and there so that kind of limited my options.