Brake light sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Sharp

Reaction score
I just replaced the brake booster to get rid of my soft pedal and constant vaccuum leak. While I was under the dash I thought I had to have to remove the brake position switch (presumably) on the brake pedal to access the pedal pin.

Well, I get everything back together and now my brake lights stay. I have read numerous reports of the pedal coming up to far and pushing the tip of the plunger in causing issues like mine... I can't, for the life of me, see how to get the switch out so I can inspect the tip of the plunger.

This pictured piece is the problem.

I ordered a service manual dvd so hopefully I will stop bugging everyone with these little things

downloadfile-2.jpg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Often, the switch is turned 90 degrees and then removed. If you are able to see the bracket, it my have an irregular shape which permit rotating the switch to remove it.

The new one is inserted, then rotated until lit clicks into place.

Then, you should gently pull back the brake pedal, then push it in until the switch clicks. It is self-adjusting.

OP
OP
J

John Sharp

Reaction score
I have tried rotating it and it doesn't want to move either direction... do you know which way it should rotate?

Often, the switch is turned 90 degrees and then removed. If you are able to see the bracket, it my have an irregular shape which permit rotating the switch to remove it.

The new one is inserted, then rotated until lit clicks into place.

Then, you should gently pull back the brake pedal, then push it in until the switch clicks. It is self-adjusting.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Squeeze the tabs and should twist either way by the way the clips are setup. I have one here to look at.

20170712_195458.jpg

20170712_195354.jpg

20170712_195341.jpg

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the procedure for a 2010 model year the 2011 should be the same

Removal

Disconnect the stoplamp switch electrical connector.
NOTE: The stoplamp switch will be difficult to remove if the switch plunger is not depressed. A slight rearward force should be adequate to depress the plunger.

With a light force, pull rearward on the brake pedal, rotate the stoplamp switch 45 degrees clockwise and remove the stoplamp switch.
Installation

NOTICE: It is very important to not press, pull or touch the brake pedal assembly during the installation of the stoplamp switch. Failure to follow these instructions may damage the stoplamp switch.

Without movement to the brake pedal assembly, install the stoplamp switch and rotate 45 degrees counterclockwise.
Connect the stoplamp switch electrical connector.