Buffers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what one do you have, what one do you want, whats the best one? And if you think "one is better" than the other...

Bring it... And you better tell why?... Don't just give the "groupie lines" based on "brand".

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, just noticed all the threads.

Either way, I personally have a Meguiar's G100. It's pretty much a PC 7424 clone. Good for medium correction and under.

I've used an actual PC 7424 XP (feels tighter than the G100), a Flex XC3401VRG, and a Makita 9227CX3 rotary buffer. Gotta go now, but I'll give a quick overview later on.

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice machine except for the snub nosed handle (much prefer a pistol grip) & random orbit ain't gonna remove no scratch?

What's the dual action? they're talking about... Can you switch between direct drive and orbital by taking the head weight off? Like two machines in one really?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll remove scratches, it just takes longer than a true dual action or an orbital. On the other hand, this makes it safer for newer users...

They call it a dual action because the oscillations make the pad rotate. I keep hearing it's because it has a clutch or something that stops it from rotating when you push down to hard. Not sure if that's true, though since even cheap orbitals do this same rotate-by-oscillation thing.

Either way, the Flex I listed is a true dual action, with it have forced rotation. It'll work faster than the PC, though I never did fully figure out how to finish down with that thing. Don't really use this now that I have the rotary to use.

I've gotten pretty decent with the Makita (rotary), though I still like to use the PC for finishing down on softer paints. I need to get better practice at jeweling with a rotary...

The PC is good for the occasional detail since it does take longer, and for the first time user. I mainly use it for finishing down on softer paints, and for glazing and applying some waxes, while using the rotary for the heavy work. Heh, once you've used rotary, the original PC and my G100 feel like a toy :p

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty decent with the Makita (rotary)

I've seen / used orbital heads that screw down to regular buffers way back when... I just didn't know if the PC package 'came with' such a device... (making it 2 machines in one) Direct drive, and optional orbital by way of the orbital counterweight head.

sounds like you have the goods.... You ever need a hardcore down and dirty tip or trick with the direct drives, let me know, be happy to share... I'm what they call (err) a pro? (the main thing in getting real good with it is 'take control'...)

Reaction score