Buying new Expedition... Still paying MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvetteGuy88

Reaction score
Well, our 2022 Limited Max is being bought back by Ford under Lemon Law (subject of another thread on here...) and we're considering replacing with a 2023 Expedition of the same spec. MSRP has climbed by a few $k and rates are 1.9% vs. my 0.9% rate, awaiting feedback from Ford and dealer about how they may manage that. For anyone who has purchased a truck off the lot or ordered a truck to spec recently, can you share the buying process and any discounts negotiated? It feels like the market has definitely softened and seeing some inventory on lots..

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably can negotiate. My parents are in the market for one too, and our family went to the dealership (Livermore, CA), and the sales guy is telling us the MSRP is negotiable now. Not sure how much.

Also if you work for a large company, you might want to check if there are corporate discounts. My dad works at Google and apparently corporate have X-Plan discounts with them. We have a tenant who works for Samsung who also can get corporate discounts. As for how much discount, I can't disclose but it was quite a lot especially with Samsung.

As for the model year, I'd recommend you wait for 2024 if you can (we are waiting for 2024). From my research, it seems late 2020 to early 2023 builds are COVID cars.

OP
OP
CorvetteGuy88

CorvetteGuy88

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback-- appreciate it! We are test driving a Wagoneer tomorrow, but not considering GM due to their packaging for car seats / third row access. Limited pool of full size SUVs that meet our towing needs, and despite the insane number of problems we had we do like the vehicle a lot (if it worked).

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go with a Escalade esv V With the tow package. Plenty of room and power

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gms won't let you leave the car seat in to get to the third row, I think that's what he meant.

The wagoneer is nice and drives well, bit that price premium is too much, especially since it lacks some convenience feature that the expy has.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure what remedies are available in Wisconsin, but in Michigan, you might be offered an identical or substantially similar vehicle. Are you working with a lemon law attorney? Like, someone who specializes? He or she should pursue an option like that if it's acceptable and available.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can afford the Grand Wagoneer, then go for it.

I'd also avoid the GM vehicles. Our family checked out the GMC Yukon XL, we hated the interior.
1. Glove compartment and center console were small, smaller than our 2006 Honda Pilot.
2. They stripped the interior of all 12v outlets except for 1 in the corner in the front. The USB-C ports they replaced them with are all slow charge, and they messed that up too (plenty of people complaining about them only working intermittently which makes me think the transformer they used overheats).
3. The built-in Google Maps only seems to work online. I already saw threads of people saying it erases any offline maps you've downloaded within a few days to a week. It seems GM got really greedy and want you to subscribe to OnStar, but this can also be dangerous if you're in a cell service dead zone. Wish the manufacturers would stick to something equivalent to the DVD based navigation that our 2006 Honda Pilot and 2005 Lexus LS430 has, and put in Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Maps are old, but they work everywhere.

Last edited: