Can anyone help decipher freeze frame data please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n.shift

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition with codes p0171 p0174. Sometimes but not always, It also has long cranking times before it starts. once its running its runs great. its 5.4 L 117k miles. Any thoughts on this? thank you
I forgot to mention it only does this when cold. when I say cold, I mean 30 degrees outside. Im thinking leaking intake gasket. Freeze frame data is

424A9D25-EC4B-479C-8DB9-4C75FEFC2A59.jpeg

90474094-ED46-41D3-BB87-FC20032DEF6B.jpeg

5E8B3284-B916-4B53-9A41-838599B14622.jpeg

8B78DCCF-E046-4446-86FF-09D1F9913B38.jpeg

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a intake leak or a weak fuel pump or clogged up fuel filter? How does it drive on WOT going down the road?

silverexp

Reaction score
You say filter is new. Did you change it because you were experiencing hard starts with a check engine light on? Or was it part of your maintenance routine? Why are you thinking leaking intake gasket?

Last edited:

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The code indicates the system is running lean. Lean means you have less fuel to air ratio. The system is always trying to maintain a specific air/fuel ratio. The system is constantly making minor adjustments to achieve the desired air/fuel ratio. When it makes major adjustments and it’s still not at the desired air/fuel ratio it detects something is wrong and throws out a code.

P0171 can mean you have excess air coming in or less fuel. These(fuel filter, fuel pump, leaking intake) are some but not all conditions that can cause that symptom you are experiencing.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
You say filter is new. Did you change it because you were experiencing hard starts with a check engine light on? Or was it part of your maintenance routine? Why are you thinking leaking intake gasket?
Fuel filter was changed as part of routine maintenance about a year ago. I’m thinking vacuum leak because if you look at rpm, the code triggered at 868 rpm. My obd2 test doesn’t have live data. I can find any vaccum leaks. I’m going to smoke test it soon. But I’m thinking I take gasket because once weather is warm or suv engine gets warm, things run better. I believe the rubber gasket is shrinking in the cold and swelling in the warm/hot. This is just a gut feeling. I could be wrong. These freeze frame data are suppose to point you in one direction or the other. But I’m uncertain which way to go with these numbers

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
The code indicates the system is running lean. Lean means you have less fuel to air ratio. The system is always trying to maintain a specific air/fuel ratio. The system is constantly making minor adjustments to achieve the desired air/fuel ratio. When it makes major adjustments and it’s still not at the desired air/fuel ratio it detects something is wrong and throws out a code.

P0171 can mean you have excess air coming in or less fuel. These(fuel filter, fuel pump, leaking intake) are some but not all conditions that can cause that symptom you are experiencing.
The freeze frame data should point you in a direction of vaccum leak or fuel/sensor related. But I’m uncertain which

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The freeze frame data should point you in a direction of vaccum leak or fuel/sensor related. But I’m uncertain which

Right you have to troubleshoot some more. If the leak is big enough you can spray carb cleaner around the intake leak and vacuum will suck it up and you might here a difference in RPM. This is a cheap way to troubleshoot a intake leak but doesn’t always work.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
Right you have to troubleshoot some more. If the leak is big enough you can spray carb cleaner around the intake leak and vacuum will suck it up and you might here a difference in RPM. This is a cheap way to troubleshoot a intake leak but doesn’t always work.
Think a smoke test would find a small leak?