Can anyone help decipher freeze frame data please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverexp

Reaction score
Fuel filter was changed as part of routine maintenance about a year ago.
I’m thinking vacuum leak because if you look at rpm, the code triggered at 868 rpm. My obd2 test doesn’t have live data. I can find any vaccum leaks. I’m going to smoke test it soon. But I’m thinking I take gasket because once weather is warm or suv engine gets warm, things run better.

Ice could be an issue there, especially if you're using ethanol gas. Also, engine and ambient temps come into play with fuel mixture. The pcm uses those parameters to determine proper fuel trim.

I believe the rubber gasket is shrinking in the cold and swelling in the warm/hot. This is just a gut feeling.

That's a possibility...

I could be wrong. These freeze frame data are suppose to point you in one direction or the other. But I’m uncertain which way to go with these numbers

All you need to know from these numbers is that you have a lean condition. That's about all they'll tell you. If you understand what causes lean conditions, run with that. With my wife's expy, to trace that lean condition after putting the vehicle back together, I checked fuel pressure with a cold engine, not running, and it was about 4 psi above minimum. So I then checked egr valve function, egr solenoid, evap solenoid, vacuum line condition, even checked vacuum with a gauge. Everything was within spec. So I bought a fuel filter and changed it, even though pressure was good, and found a lot of trash in it. Then it dawned on me that a tank or two before I started having problems I ran seafoam through it, which ended up plugging that filter. Don't rule it out...

The freeze frame data should point you in a direction of vaccum leak or fuel/sensor related. But I’m uncertain which

Freeze frame only tells you the conditions under which the light was set. The CEL doesn't always set right away. Sometimes the pcm will detect a problem, and then monitor that system for so many cycles before setting a code. That's the difference between a hard fault and a pending fault. The only useful information from that freeze frame is that your long term fuel trim on one bank was out of parameters for too long. That it set the light at idle with engine warmed up is irrelevant, especially since your hard start happens with the engine cold.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
All you need to know from these numbers is that you have a lean condition. That's about all they'll tell you. If you understand what causes lean conditions, run with that. With my wife's expy, to trace that lean condition after putting the vehicle back together, I checked fuel pressure with a cold engine, not running, and it was about 4 psi above minimum. So I then checked egr valve function, egr solenoid, evap solenoid, vacuum line condition, even checked vacuum with a gauge. Everything was within spec. So I bought a fuel filter and changed it, even though pressure was good, and found a lot of trash in it. Then it dawned on me that a tank or two before I started having problems I ran seafoam through it, which ended up plugging that filter. Don't rule it out...

Freeze frame only tells you the conditions under which the light was set. The CEL doesn't always set right away. Sometimes the pcm will detect a problem, and then monitor that system for so many cycles before setting a code. That's the difference between a hard fault and a pending fault. The only useful information from that freeze frame is that your long term fuel trim on one bank was out of parameters for too long. That it set the light at idle with engine warmed up is irrelevant, especially since your hard start happens with the engine cold.
But at higher rpm’s wouldn’t a vac leak be irrelevant? That’s why it’s inoortant to see at what rpm’s the light was set. I really need a obd2 scanner with live data . So what should fuel pressure be with key off, key on and running? I believe mine is the returnless fuel system

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But at higher rpm’s wouldn’t a vac leak be irrelevant? That’s why it’s inoortant to see at what rpm’s the light was set. I really need a obd2 scanner with live data . So what should fuel pressure be with key off, key on and running? I believe mine is the returnless fuel system
If you think it’s fuel pressure related then check fuel pressure at WOT. If it drops too much then there is the cause of your issue.

silverexp

Reaction score

A vac leak would be more noticeable at idle, but like I said, that may be coincidence that the pcm set the code at idle. The pcm likely picked up a problem before that and monitored for so many cycles, and that happened to be what the rpm was on that cycle when it set the code. Notice your engine temp was 194°. To me that's more relevant than rpm. Either way, you have a lean condition to track down.

As far as scanners go, I use torque pro and forscan apps with a wireless obd2 device. Total cost was $25-$30, and I use those way more than my $200 Innova scanner. And they provide you with the option to track realtime data.

Engine running fuel psi should be between 28-45. Key on engine off should be 35-45. Mine was at 32 running and 39 off with a bad filter.

silverexp

Reaction score
If you need any technical information, I have all of the workshop manuals for the 2001 expedition. All you have to do is ask.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
If you need any technical information, I have all of the workshop manuals for the 2001 expedition. All you have to do is ask.
I’m asking :) but i really don’t no what I’m asking for. Lol. You have anything to put me in right track to solve this leak condition on bank 1 and 2 with fuel pressure specs?

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
A vac leak would be more noticeable at idle, but like I said, that may be coincidence that the pcm set the code at idle. The pcm likely picked up a problem before that and monitored for so many cycles, and that happened to be what the rpm was on that cycle when it set the code. Notice your engine temp was 194°. To me that's more relevant than rpm. Either way, you have a lean condition to track down.

As far as scanners go, I use torque pro and forscan apps with a wireless obd2 device. Total cost was $25-$30, and I use those way more than my $200 Innova scanner. And they provide you with the option to track realtime data.

Engine running fuel psi should be between 28-45. Key on engine off should be 35-45. Mine was at 32 running and 39 off with a bad filter.
Should there be pressure with key off? Or should it be zero?

silverexp

Reaction score
Should there be pressure with key off? Or should it be zero?

There should be pressure at all times. It is supposed to hold whatever pressure was there when the engine was turned off. Mine, IIRC, held at 38.

silverexp

Reaction score
How is your PCV valve? Reason I ask is that a sticky pcv valve can create a vacuum leak, and that's about a $3 part.

Last edited: