Cap for Schrader valve on fuel rail.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you Toby for setting me strait but, I never said anything about what it does in any of my post only the potential of what could happen.That was implied on my first post but maybe you missed that so let me explain.

When the cap is off and debris gets in around the valve what happens? Well if you are screwing something on its to check the pressure the debris is trapped. screwing the pressure gauge on lets the debris that is down inside swirl around and very well can end up in the fuel rail or stuck in the valve itself which could cause a leak. Where does it go from the fuel rail? the Injectors.

Do you think that professionals stick something in the valve first to clear debris and spray the engine compartment and themselves with fuel? No they just put the pressure gauge on. If you do stick something in there to spray a little out you are asperating the fuel which is what it needs for ignition. You need to respect the fuel and it will respect you.
Not saying it will happen but it does increase the risk 10 fold of it actually happening. All of which could be totally prevented 100% with a cap. Just put a cap on it.

You doubt they look for the cap or they might? Sure some shops might not look for it but, the bottom line is they can fail you in VA for not having the cap.

Next you'll tell me it's important to have the plastic valve stem caps on you tires too

Do you need me to explain the difference between pressurized fuel and compressed air?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That or another hobby.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you Toby for setting me strait but, I never said anything about what it does in any of my post only the potential of what could happen.That was implied on my first post but maybe you missed that so let me explain.

When the cap is off and debris gets in around the valve what happens? Well if you are screwing something on its to check the pressure the debris is trapped. screwing the pressure gauge on lets the debris that is down inside swirl around and very well can end up in the fuel rail or stuck in the valve itself which could cause a leak. Where does it go from the fuel rail? the Injectors.

Do you think that professionals stick something in the valve first to clear debris and spray the engine compartment and themselves with fuel? No they just put the pressure gauge on. If you do stick something in there to spray a little out you are asperating the fuel which is what it needs for ignition. You need to respect the fuel and it will respect you.
Not saying it will happen but it does increase the risk 10 fold of it actually happening. All of which could be totally prevented 100% with a cap. Just put a cap on it.

You doubt they look for the cap or they might? Sure some shops might not look for it but, the bottom line is they can fail you in VA for not having the cap.

Next you'll tell me it's important to have the plastic valve stem caps on you tires too

Do you need me to explain the difference between pressurized fuel and compressed air?

I'm not "setting you straight" or trying to. I'm just giving my opinions and telling my observed experiences and trying to NOT do it in a condescending or argumentative way.
You said potential debris and actual debris is the same to you and compared it to running without an air filter. I just simply can't agree with that. Even though you said apples to oranges, it could imply to others that it's the same as or important as having an air filter in place and I feel that gives it much more importance than it is in the reality I have witnessed.
The chance of debris might make someone warrant the precaution but I just can't say that potential and actual or ever the same thing. So I guess it just bothers me like it does for some people not having valve stem caps on their tires.
I usually make mention of personal preferences and such but like to point out when some things are just straining a gnat and swallowing a camel.
Lots of things are accepted as commonplace and even become necessary when in reality they make little difference.
Any possible dirt or fuzz etc, I've really never seen anything in a Schrader valve for under the hood of a car, but anyting there would very much more than likely be washed out by little bit of fuel that escapes with the pressure escaping as a gauge was screwed on. And as I said only if this ever occurs as most cars never have a gauge to the port.
I guess I'm just a laws of averages person or a bit of a gambler.
The chances of anything that might, and that's a big might, be in there would be much greater of getting washed out when a gauge was screwed on then the chances would be for them causing a leak or ever possibly settling into the fuel rail. I just don't think that's going to happen.
We're talking about a very tiny ring of volume and the slightest little fuel coming out is going to wash it out.
Luckily, this is a very simple issue for one to overcome if it concerns them. I will note that I believe it is a special style of harder plastic cap with an actual o-ring in the tip of it or flat Rubber seal more like the r-12 air conditioner fittings and not simply a cheap plastic Tire valve stem cap but for the purposes of this discussion a plastic cap would be fine because we were just discussing debris. I believe the manufacturers include the Rubber seal on the top just like GM does on their larger ports on the fuel rail to make one extra safeguard and the prevention of any possible leaks. That does get into a whole different aspect though.
But for anyone who is concerned, it is a simple fix to just acquire a cap and screw it on.
I, however, and not going to go out and pop the hoods of my vehicle and look and see if they all have caps on there. It won't bother me one bit whether they do or don't. I OCD over different things.
We all have our Hang-Ups. LOL

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WOW All that to agree with what was on my first post.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WOW All that to agree with what was on my first post.

I've got plenty of time and nothing better to do. However I don't appreciate your snotty attitude or tone.
I think I've made it abundantly clear that I don't agree with your theory on this and will go as far as to say that is hardly possible. Almost anything is possible but your assertions and assumptions are highly unlikely.
I'm assuming you're taking the part where I agree that the manufacturers decided to put it on for certain reasons which I further clarified but might be their concerns.
I also agree that they come factory on cars, but that's not the issue here. I disagree with the assertion that they are important or necessary or that any dirt or debris could find its way into the fuel rail and into injector.

Keeping with the way your posts have been in this thread I assume you will go back and nit pick the semantics of any word that I said to show where I agreed with you.
I think it was made clear earlier that we are annoying others by our back and forth. Instead of having a condescending or flippant tone why don't you simply state your opinion and I will state mine as I have done, then let's just agree to disagree.
And in your state it might be a moot point as you can simply say I have to have one of my car to pass inspection. As I have said on my end I could care less if my cars have them or not. So let's just agree to disagree without being disrespectful, rude, condescending or argumentative to each other.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. but that also was in my first post. in my opinion, apples and oranges.

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it makes anyone feel better I agree to just throw a cap on it. Less dirt and debris is better than more. Lol.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PULL OVER....
I AM THE DUST CAP POLICE...
HANDS IN THE AIR YOU DUST CAPLESS DOG...