Catalytic Converter Raptor Skid Plate Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, there are a few threads about adding skid plates to 4th gens, primarily the 2018 to 2021 models but starting this trend to highlight adding the similar year Raptor trans skid plate as catalytic converter protection. It’s an awesome easy over the Parts counter from Ford way to protect the catalytic converters besides adding skid plate insurance for the never known road debris.

Expeditions have all the mounting holes present and by purchasing the below, both catalytic converters and the transmission and it’s cooler are protected.

There’s some debate on the expensive $56 oil drain access cover HL3Z7222B and its fitment. I did have to elongate two bolt holes and add a third for it to fit to the main panel correctly. Sounds like its the luck of the draw with some ordering this part and having no issues to others getting something that totally does not match up.

Here’s the parts needed

1x Ford 2018 Raptor HL3Z7222e transmission protection plate.

1x HL3Z7222b oil drain access cover for above - $56 optional part

1xW717634S439 U nuts pack (4x U nuts per pack to insert into frame)

W716831S439 bolts for above. Pack includes 4x

1x W500623S439 oil drain cover HL3Z7222B U nuts. Pack of 4, only 3 needed

1x W718396S439 bolts for above to connect oil drain cover to main protection panel.

For those wondering, the oil drain access cover is optional. You can do this without it but it’s a nice touch to complete the job and have a smooth looking cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 56

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice. Can't the existing mounting bolts at the rear of the fiber cover work for the steel plate, also?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the write up! It is substantially better than the fabric junk under there, but I have to say, for a "Raptor" part, seems quite flimsy. I don't actually know this, but are there different levels of protection from the factory for this for Raptors? For an Expo that isn't likely to have a larger rock flying up into the tranny, this is probably more than enough protection. Just personally surprised that this is a Raptor part.

OP
OP
B

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice. Can't the existing mounting bolts at the rear of the fiber cover work for the steel plate, also?
The U clips and bolts that hold the bracket for the factory felt cover could be re used but the Raptor U nuts and bolts are larger and looks to be able to withstand a heavier load than the felt cover hardware. I was tempted to leave the old hardware but liked the new bigger hardware and felt for sure it looked right when done. One note though, you do need to add a pair of U nuts and bolts at the front of this cover that are not there but the holes for the U nut is there in the frame so all you have to do is slide the U but in place. They come from Ford in packs of 4 so it’s easy to just replace them all. Factory felt cover has 4 bolts total holding it in but the Raptor cover has 6 total adding two up high at the front of the cover in back of the wheel well area. I did re use the bolts and hardware (8mm head M6’s) for the front lower felt cover bolts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the write up! It is substantially better than the fabric junk under there, but I have to say, for a "Raptor" part, seems quite flimsy. I don't actually know this, but are there different levels of protection from the factory for this for Raptors? For an Expo that isn't likely to have a larger rock flying up into the tranny, this is probably more than enough protection. Just personally surprised that this is a Raptor part.
I was only able to find this one via the Ford.Parts.com website. I asked the Parts people at my local dealer and they also said you either get the felt or steel in non Raptor F150’s depending on options but all Raptors got this steel plate and was their only steel plate protection option for everything.

OP
OP
B

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update - looks like the correct oil drain access cover is part number HL3Z-7222F if your using the latest HL3Z-7222E cover