Changing auto trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone do their own transmission oil change? I was thinking of doing it myself as the quotes I'm getting are in the $125 range. I was wondering how difficult the job is and how much oil comes out when you drop the pan. I assume 1/2 or more is in the torque converter that you can't get out. Also do you need to change the filter as well when you only have 46,000 miles?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't remember off the top of my head what the exact amounts are, but it's something like 5 qts in the pan, and 14 in the TC (or is it 14 total?). For any transmissions made after 2001, you have to do a fluid exchange since you can't directly drain the TC.

There is a method where you disconnect the trans cooler line, turn on the truck for a couple seconds, catch what comes out, and put an equal amount of new stuff in. You keep on doing this until the oil comes out clean.

Is the $125 for all 14/19 qts of oil (w/e the total amount of pan and TC is), and filter? A filter is like 10-15 bucks. The oil is the pricey part, since each qt is like 5-6 dollars, it adds up when you have to change out all those qts.

I'd go ahead and change the filter while you're in there.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the new way they flush the system, it gets all the fluid out without dropping the pan, and even back-flushes the filter to get some debris off of that. They use the cooler lines and reverse the flow to get it done. It's worth the $125 (about what I paid) to get it done.
If you drop the pan, I would replace the filter too. It's a fairly cheap part and worth it to do it if you're going to the trouble of dropping the pan. Ford was charging twice the amount I paid for trans flush to change the filter due to the amount of time, new gasket, and fluid.
With only 46,000 miles, you most likely do not need a flush or fluid exchange until 100K (per owner's manual) unless you are doing a fair amount of towing. I have nearly 60K on mine, but I tow about 6000 lbs a fair amount in the summer months.

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I am not the original owner I wanted to change the fluid as I don't know how it was treated before. I know the prior owner did some towing across the country for a move. The $125 quote was to drop the pan and change the filter and whatever oil is in the pan, it was not a "flush". However there is a local oil chage store called Jiffy Lube that advertises a transmission fluid "flush" but that does not include changing the filter for the same price (my manual says the filter change is not necessary if no part failure). So I don't know what route I should go if I decide not to do it myself.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are just dropping the pan, they are only changing 5 qts of oil, which isn't even half the amount. I'd ask around at other places to see what their prices are, and for what service.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
up here most charge $179 to drop pan change filter and then do a full fluid exchange. make sure they use actual mercon 5 fluid and not dexron/mercon with an additive friction modifier

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At my local Ford dealer, it was $116 for a trans flush, no filter or dropping of the pan.

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called 3 shops all around $125, only one shop said they pull the return line and pump the fluid into a bucket until pink. They all use the synthetic Mercon V. I am also thinking of doing this myself so when the pan is off I can install a drain plug so I can change the fluid more regularly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1