Check Suspension Light- tire size- and brakes and lugs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhowington

Reaction score
Ive been slowly trying to get my 97 xlt (5.4). there were some initial problems and I backburned everything until.... later. Well later came- had to replace a COOP- so chose to do all the plugs and COOPs at the same time. Naturally, the CE light went off, and its running much better. I suspect the fuel mileage will also improve.

I had to also replace the CE bulb, or so I thought. Actually, I had to replace the bulb and bulb holder- somehow it disappeared. there were other missing holders and apparently other bulbs out. BTW, those looking for bulbs- it took me a long time to get the right numbers- 194 and 37s- I forgot how many of each, I think it was like 12 of the 194 and 7 of the 37s. I also found from NAPA the price was around 1, but autozone and the rest, around 4.5/each.

At the same time, the truck needs an alignment- it was a low priority until my wife forgot to keep an eye on the front right tire- slow leak- long story short, threads started showing through the outter edge. I bought a matching tire, had it installed, and the dweeb somehow broke a stud. Easy enough to fix (keep reading- nothing goes easy on this truck so far).

After replacing the bulbs, the check suspension light came on. The suspension motor used to come on and off, sometimes more often than I thought it should. Now.. it doesnt seem to come on or off- so obviously witht he light, Ive got an issue. The tire I bought, apparently had a hole in it, so I ended up putting on the spare. As it turns out, the spare is the right size, but the ones on the truck are not. the PO put 265/70/16s, but the spare is 255/60/16. After putting on the spare, the check suspension light in fact went off- for about 10 miles. Is it logical to conclude there is something on that wheel that is causing issues to flip the suspension light? The airbag light also stays on- it flashes 4 times, than 1, repeatidly, before finally staying on. Is this a code I can look up and back track?

Now than- the rotors. either im stupid or ive gotten REALLY dumb. A few months ago I replaced the rear rotors and pads, no problem- all standard procedures. The front, calipurs came off like the hundreds of other cars Ive done, but not the rotors. I read here about rusted on rotors and other issues, but these rotors... look like they are one unit with the hub. Ive sprayed to make it as clean as possible and it honsttly looks like it is one unit. Has anyone else ever seen this before? Surely they are not- since the replacement rotors are regular rotors. Im a bit stumped. I dont have the time to take the hub off- and I actually really need to replace the broken stud. I ASSume like other cars, I can bang the broken one off, and insert the new one? With that being said- as a recap:

- How does one troubleshoot the check suspension light? Would the different tire size have some impact on it?
- How to remove the rotors on the front- any models made have the rotor somehow as one piece with the hub or am I just seeing things?
- Airbag light- is this like typical fords, flashing a code, or does this give some sort of indication of where to begin? My initial thought was simply a sensor- perhaps too close, loose connection, or simply malfunctioned- but.. it hasnt exactly been high on the priority list. Now that the truck is running again about normal- my wife suddenly has made this a priority :)

Sorry for the long path to the short questions.

OP
OP
M

mhowington

Reaction score
Well a bit of an update... so the check suspension light now comes on and off, randomly- and the motor that used to run (somewhere under the passengar side- front) hasnt come on in days. I dont know why but something related to the tire-size I guess.