Chrome Accent on Floor Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All-

Quick question; is it possible to replace the chrome accent on the floor shifter? I have minor scratches and such on mine which is just annoying. It looks like one might be able to pop off just that piece? I didn’t want to go to town with a plastic pry tool and risk breaking a clip. Thanks in advance!

2EE8C9F8-0625-4CC7-9208-15DA6C9FB574.jpeg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I believe the entire shifter assembly has to be changed. The chrome is part of the lever which is plastic and not serviced separately. Perhaps some type of wrap can work? Or paint it black like the cheap trucks (XLTs) have.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quick question; is it possible to replace the chrome accent on the floor shifter? I have minor scratches and such on mine which is just annoying. It looks like one might be able to pop off just that piece? I didn’t want to go to town with a plastic pry tool and risk breaking a clip. Thanks in advance!

Here's another member who did a good job solving that problem.

Other good ideas from other members on the thread as well.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...-shift-knock-just-paint-it.44830/#post-408261

@1970Maverick found this using the search box top right of page.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
The entire unit needs to be changed out. On our 08 we had to change to entire unit due to plastic fatigue and breakage in the shifter link. (Couldn’t put the car in drive or park for that matter.) took the dealership about two hours to change it out, and now nice new and shinny.

Might want to consider a spot of preventative maintenance on that part if you are using the Expy for travel or work.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
My console shifter's chrome piece just fell off on its own sometime during the first year I had my purchased-new 2016 Limited. Since then I've had the open guts exposed underneath. Didn't think I could glue it back on because of the chrome finish on the mating surfaces. Never hurt my feelings since this chrome trim piece had always reflected direct sunlight back/underneath my sunglasses anyway. :)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the sides are what can be removed, then you can wrap the center

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The tabs that retain the side pads aren't made to be removed and can break off when you pry them. Be careful and lucky and maybe they can be reused. You can find new ones on ebay or can probably glue them on if you break the tabs.