Clicking Noise at 5 MPH HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawk7

Reaction score
I have a 2001 AWD expedition. When we had a snow in December I was driving it and the front wheels kicked in a couple of times do to the rear slipping on the snow. All was normal. Now when I drive forward at about 5mph there is a click click click noise coming from under the truck. I thought it was in the front axles/CV's but I thank it is more in the transfer case. As I increase speed, the clicking goes faster until you your going above 12mph and you cant hear it anymore only because of the spped of the truck. If I turn the front wheels 15 degrees either way it will stopp clicking. When I go back to strait the clicking comes back. If I engage in 4WD it goes away. When engaging back to AWD it will come come back. I have a digram of the transfer case and dont see anything that would make this faint clicking. Any suggestions as I dont want to pull the transfer case. I tried 4 LOW as well and no clicking but clicking comes back again when back to AWD. THANKS

pogiboy69

Reaction score
would not be the transfer case, the noise would be there whenever the vehicle is in any 4x4. I would look at the components near the front end, bearings or front axles

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having the clicking noise at the rear end. This noise is very loud under 50km and as I slow down it gets louder and slower. The frequency depends on the speed. It sounds as if something is touching something and it increases with speed and decreases the frequency when it slows down. I have changed a lot of things and the garage I normally take has taken everything out and put it back but to no avail.
This sound does not come when it is on the hoist and the wheels engaged. So it has got something to do when the truck is on the ground.
All the mechanics are baffled. Any help would be much appreciated.

slo-ryd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine clicked at slow speed...
It was the hub nut retainer ring behind the l/f center cap. I thin ring if black silicone fixed it.