2003 Ford Expedition xlt 4.6 Clicking sound at rear wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

comtecjon

Reaction score
Hi, Was hoping someone could help me find out why my rear wheels are clicking like a bad cv joint according to my neighbor, as I drove past him in our driveway he told me he's hearing clicking at both rear wheels, I'm unable to hear it and have taken it to several people to look at it and they dont hear it. now I'm to paranoid to take it long distance I canceled my camping trip. I'm unable to find a way to test it? thought maybe if I jack up the rear end and rotate the wheels and check for clicking>? and recommendations would be deeply appreciated. Tks Jon

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that once on my excursion. Was freaking me out. Turns out it was a loose hub cap.

there’s clicking, popping or clunking

which could be wheel bearing
check lugs
pull wheels and check for loose brake caliber
check for play
Change with speed?

If you don’t hear it? Is it broke?

craig72

Reaction score
Two things from my old '98 that caused rear end clicking:
- The parking brake cable was hitting the inside of the rear drivers side tire
- One of the parking brake pads inside the rotor had separated from its bracket

OP
OP
C

comtecjon

Reaction score
I had that once on my excursion. Was freaking me out. Turns out it was a loose hub cap.

there’s clicking, popping or clunking

which could be wheel bearing
check lugs
pull wheels and check for loose brake caliber
check for play
Change with speed?

If you don’t hear it? Is it broke?
wheel bearing no play, just did new brakes 2 months ago, lugs are good, Thanks,

craig72

Reaction score
You can lift the rear then use two jack stands to support the axle. Make sure to block the front wheels just to be safe. Then you can start and put it into gear (make sure you're in 2WD). I had to do this several times on my old '98 over the years.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing you can check are the pad clip thingy’s. My daughter’s old ‘04 has the clips that hold the pads tight in the caliper. If they become unseated they can make intermittent contact with the wheel as it spins.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard that clicking on other vehicles I've owned. Turned out to be a bad U joint.