Clockwise until it gets loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I had some fun this weekend, chasing a belt that squeals (only when the outside temp is 30 or below) I found the idler pulley just next to the power steering pump was a bit loose. I grabbed the socket wrench and found the bolt was not very tight. I tightened it up, gave it one more push with my short-handled 3/8" and suddenly felt it get loose (and the blood drain from my face)...

So I went and rented the fan clutch removal wrench, and got everything out of the way.. But the bolt broke at an angle and I couldn't drill the bolt without the bit wandering and trying to damage the threads... So i borrowed the wife's traverse to head to Harbor Freight to get a self aligning drill bit (marketed for door hinges)..

When I pulled into the Harbor Freight parking lot, I smelled something sweet and said to myself that someone else must be having car trouble too, as that is definitely coolant... When I got out of HF I see the huge puddle under the car and realized that it was the wife's traverse that blew apart a heater hose... I limped it home (downhill most of the way) and long story short, both vehicles are on the road again...

5YHxZ5y.jpg

du11nYk.jpg

cKuxyrQ.jpg

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You poor guy. Blue Loctite is your friend!
Funny you say that, I was out of blue so I used a tiny drop of red on the new bolt (that I had to order through Ford). Wish me luck!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I thought I had bad luck! Any time a bolt shears off at an angle, you've got a fun time ahead. Without having a jig to drill through bolt like experienced machine shops do, you can drill entire broken bolt out, re tap, or helicoil. Crazy question, but is their anything to grab onto? Or did it break off flush, or below? Another trick is weld on a stud or bolt to broken bolt, then Hopefully you can unbolt broken bolt. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it works.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I had some fun this weekend, chasing a belt that squeals (only when the outside temp is 30 or below) I found the idler pulley just next to the power steering pump was a bit loose. I grabbed the socket wrench and found the bolt was not very tight. I tightened it up, gave it one more push with my short-handled 3/8" and suddenly felt it get loose (and the blood drain from my face)...

So I went and rented the fan clutch removal wrench, and got everything out of the way.. But the bolt broke at an angle and I couldn't drill the bolt without the bit wandering and trying to damage the threads... So i borrowed the wife's traverse to head to Harbor Freight to get a self aligning drill bit (marketed for door hinges)..

When I pulled into the Harbor Freight parking lot, I smelled something sweet and said to myself that someone else must be having car trouble too, as that is definitely coolant... When I got out of HF I see the huge puddle under the car and realized that it was the wife's traverse that blew apart a heater hose... I limped it home (downhill most of the way) and long story short, both vehicles are on the road again...

5YHxZ5y.jpg

du11nYk.jpg

cKuxyrQ.jpg
That's a bummer. Glad to see you able to fix both vehicles.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was recessed and the bolt broke unevenly
I took a screenshot from the video I took evaluating my first drill attempt (without the self centering tool) where i felt it drifting up.
zxBf1NW.png

This video shows the hole with the broken bolt inside

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chevy dealership wanted $125 for this hose plus tee and 2 other short hoses (sold as a kit), found local auto store with a 90 heater hose for $15 that worked well instead.

YtfcTLb.jpg