Coil Spring Isolators-Replace or Reuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djljr

Reaction score
Lowering an '03 Expy with Eibach kit and Bilsteins. Will be doing the work myself. Decided that since everything else was new, I should consider replacig the coil spring isolators as well. Since I won't be able to check the condition of the existing isolators until I disassemble the shock/spring unit and the isolators are not too expensive, I plan to buy them before I start.

Called Ford dealer and was told that isolators are not a separate part number and only available with the shock; not surprised but that is just dumb. Called a couple of aftermarket vendors, so far no luck.

I was curious as to whether those of you that have lowered your vehicles replaced the rubber isolators or just reused the old ones? What was the condition of the isolators after 50K-65K miles? Any insight would be appreciated.

Bow Down

Reaction score
I lowered my 03 XLT with belltech springs and used the stock struts. I did mine around 60k, the isolators looked ok. When you seperate the springs from the struts, just reuse the old ones. You won't need the spring compressors to put the lowering springs on. But the rear upper mounting bolts, 3 of them your gonna need to use a racheting wrench or a regular one. There's no room for anything else. Plus the lower mounting nut is a big one so check it out and see if you have that size. I was lucky I had one that size. It took me about 2.5 to 3 hours to lower mine, good luck.

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
The isolators are in good shape; no need to replace. Did you shorten the bump stops? No instructions to do so but it would seem with shorter springs, bump stops should be trimmed?

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
I can't say for sure but from looking at the picture of the rear air shock, it looks to me like you need the top retainer and isolator. Perhaps another forum member that has made this swap will weigh in but if I was making the swap, I think I would hit a junk yard and pull the rear shocks from a non-air system, rebuild with new springs/shocks and just swap out the non-air unit for the air unit.

exceldetail

Reaction score
I went the other way. I took out the air ride and replaced with springs. Granted, the air ride is 10 years old but I really prefer the traditional ride. I seem to be having a hard time finding isolators (Oreillys for example).

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
I went the other way. I took out the air ride and replaced with springs. Granted, the air ride is 10 years old but I really prefer the traditional ride. I seem to be having a hard time finding isolators (Oreillys for example).

I meant to take photos and measure the isolators while I had them out but spaced it out. There are a lot of universal isolators and probably one that will work but you would need to know shape, thickness, ID and OD. I find it hard to believe there isn't a part number for the isolators and the FoMoCo won't sell them as individual parts.

You can always hit the junkyard with a jack and a few tools and pull a set of rear coil over assemblies and break them down for the isolator. The right junk yard may have a set already pulled off; never know.