Common '03 5.4L oil leak locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a question, 2nd oil change was due on the Expo today, did the oil change, man the filter is a PITA, and it was considerably low.

We had the oil changed the day after we bought it, the shop manager said it wasn't low on oil, I hadn't noticed any leaks before so I didn't think twice about it.

Today I poured all the drained oil into the new, empty, 5Qt. jug and I filled less than half with old oil.

There is a leak, seems I have some runoff down the frame rail on the passenger side.

Question being are there any common oil leak issues that leak in that general area?

Also, while on this subject, before I drained the old oil I did check the dipstick, and sho' nuff it didn't show any oil after a clean wipe. Tried it twice, no oil showing on the dipstick before the change.

And for anyone wondering did the change with a MotorCraft Oil Filter and 6 Qts. of Motorcraft SynBlend 5w20. From what I found online 6 quarts was the norm for the '03 5.4L.

Thanks

PS, while the oil was low, it was nice and clean, nothing scary floating around :)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah the filter is a PITA...I hate trying to get to it and I always have to use an oil cap adapter to get it off...I found that its a bit easier if u do it from the top under the hood if u can reach it to just loosen it up then take it all the way off from underneath...my 04 takes 5 qts...not 6 as advertised...I would suggest cleaning the engine...use Lucas Oil treatment to attempt to seal the leak if possible and watch for oil on that side...im not sure bout a common spot

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP, I don't know how common it is but I had an oil leak at the timing chain cover and another at the oil pan.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil filter adapter gasket is the only known oil leak issue I have had and seen. Very easy inexpensive part. But messy as the adapter plate also include coolant pluming.