Considering 2012 Expy..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malimal

Reaction score
Hello All, perspective Expy owner..

looking at a 2012 Ford Expedition King Ranch. anything I should watch our for?

selling for about 31K with 55K miles.

coming from a 2008 Yukon Denali.

Test drove an Expy, I may miss the acceleration of the Yukon if I switch. other wise its pretty even.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make a close inspection of the painted surface edges of the rear hatch, under the tailgate window and edges of the hood. Those are aluminum and are subject to paint bubbling/corrosion. First hand experience on my '12 KR that I bought new. Take a close look at the wheels, the wheels on mine had corrosion/pitting that were replaced under B2B warranty

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make a close inspection of the painted surface edges of the rear hatch, under the tailgate window and edges of the hood. Those are aluminum and are subject to paint bubbling/corrosion.

If you can't live with the paint peeling/bubbling or aren't ready to take Ford to court for it, forget the Expedition. I have literally looked at hundreds of 2008-2012 Expeditions (and a couple 2013s) and not one was free of peeling/bubbling paint.

Aside from that, most of the issues with my '11 EL Limited were in regards to the luxury features. Within 6 months of purchase, both power running board assemblies failed, the climate-controlled seats failed three times, and the backup camera failed. Be sure to check for leaks as well; I had a leaking rear strut and two separate oil leaks (oil pan and timing chain cover). Oh and as with all Fords, check the power windows; the motors and regulators are known to fail prematurely on all Fords.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have over 60K on my '12. Lots of towing my 3k# boat. Lots of skiing. The only problem I've experienced was someone busting out a window to take my radar detector.

The one thing I am not satisfied with is the built-in navigation system. Honestly, my phone is a much more reliable and up-to-date system and it updates for free.

OP
OP
M

malimal

Reaction score
I have over 60K on my '12. Lots of towing my 3k# boat. Lots of skiing. The only problem I've experienced was someone busting out a window to take my radar detector.

The one thing I am not satisfied with is the built-in navigation system. Honestly, my phone is a much more reliable and up-to-date system and it updates for free.

Yeah, replacing the radio would be first upgrade..lol

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, replacing the radio would be first upgrade..lol

Research this decision if you do purchase. While there are solutions & ways around everything, the steering wheel controls, rear seat video entertainment system functionality, rear audio control & jacks, SYNC functionality, backup camera, factory USB/RCA/Line-in input jacks, and factory amplifiers integration should all be considered. Its not "pull deck & install new" like in years past, unless you are OK loosing some or a lot of other stuff.

Upgrading the speakers, IMO, will have the biggest bang for the buck.

My only thing to look out for would be leather fade on the front seats. If the previous owner parked in the sun regularly and didn't condition the seats, I'd expect some of the color to be washed out. Its ironic that a lot of people buy this package for the leather, but then don't care for it. Buyers mistreated Castano leather so badly that Ford switched to the more reddish Chaparral. Mistake IMO, but what do I know. Good luck.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make a close inspection of the painted surface edges of the rear hatch, under the tailgate window and edges of the hood. Those are aluminum and are subject to paint bubbling/corrosion. First hand experience on my '12 KR that I bought new. Take a close look at the wheels, the wheels on mine had corrosion/pitting that were replaced under B2B warranty

I have an '04 with bubbling, i'm assuming this does not qualify for warranty? thanks.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem I've experienced was someone busting out a window to take my radar detector.

Someone busted out the window of my Mountaineer for ~$3 cash and a couple low-value gift cards. They took my wife's wallet, left all the CCs and pennies, but took the silver change, bills, and GCs. A hunter found it in the woods near where we were parked a week later - after we had cancelled all the CCs and she replaced her license, etc. :banghead:

I have an '04 with bubbling, i'm assuming this does not qualify for warranty? thanks.

It does not, but you may still be able to pursue the issue in court, especially since there is a TSB for this issue and it includes your model year.