Coolant leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dendiggity

Reaction score
Pressure tested the coolant system and sprayed soapy water. Here's where the coolant leak is. Never worked on these engines - 5.4 SOHC Triton V8 2003 Expedition. What part / gasket is this that it's leaking from? Easy DIY or pretty involved? Help VERY appreciated!

Did more poking around. I guess it's the whole intake manifold that needs to come off? I thought you could get away with just taking the cross over pipe off, but it's one unit, isn't it? Cross over pipe is separate on later models?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 10.03.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 10.03.55 PM.png
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 10.04.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 10.04.20 PM.png
    910.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well known failure point. Replace entire manifold.

2001 EXPEDITION

Reaction score
Pressure tested the coolant system and sprayed soapy water. Here's where the coolant leak is. Never worked on these engines - 5.4 SOHC Triton V8 2003 Expedition. What part / gasket is this that it's leaking from? Easy DIY or pretty involved? Help VERY appreciated!

Did more poking around. I guess it's the whole intake manifold that needs to come off? I thought you could get away with just taking the cross over pipe off, but it's one unit, isn't it? Cross over pipe is separate on later models?
Yeah 2001 had samee issue. The passenger side rear of the intake looked like it had melted which the coolant tunnel was closed to the melt on that outside corner of. The intake.. had to. Replace the intake. Just take your time and double check everything before moving too the next step when placing the new one..lost of had to reach bolts and hoses....for a 1st step...take a photo of your vacuum liners before discounting any of them... Cause you'll not find any diagram that actually shows how to connect them properly with out leaving more questions. Also good thing to take care of while intake removed...head seals, spark plugs, coil packs... Once. Your done...it will practically run and sound like new...

2001 5.4L Expedition Eddie Bauer.
284, 787 Miles

If dyi can be done under 600. For all those parts...if you shop wisely, Io. Even did the water pump and swapped to an electric fan and added a pump for rear heater.

Have fun!

OP
OP
D

dendiggity

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Great tips. By head seal you mean head gasket? I think the head gasket is good on this vehicle...but...