Coolant spraying out of rear vent!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aeorn

Reaction score
Tastes like coolant, I think. Anyone else seen this happen?

PXL_20210718_223014684.jpg
I recently pulled the carpet and pressure washed and found a substance pooling underneath. Also, when I bought the car (used, 130k miles), there was a whiteish stain in the same place where it is now wet. I assumed it was a drink spill. Been playing with the AC a lot recently.

Just replaced door actuator on the rear unit (clicking) and added refrigerant because it wasn't blowing cold.

Will post updates once I remove the plastic again, but just want to hear of anyone has had similar issue.

2003 EB 5.4

PXL_20210718_223017265.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, could be just one of the clamps broke, or hose, or (worst case) the rear heater core. You'll have to pop the rear quarter panel off and take a look. Watch your coolant level reservoir, but I wouldn't even drive it until you fix it.

x612VW.jpg

Will Williams

Reaction score
I have a few questions ref 2007 expedition.
1. I had an issue with leaking fluids near rear side passenger door area. I the first time I was press for time and did not have a garage and or lift to find out where it was leaking at. I took it to a dealer which stated it was the hose rubbing against a broken clamp. It was about $1000.00 repair. Should the rear heater core been replaced at that time too?
2. I now have a issue somewhat the same as before. I now have a garage. Aging I'm not sure what is leaking and if it could be running from the core over the muffler where it is leaking. Does this sounds like the heater core?
3. How difficult is it to get to the heater core?
4. If it is the hose, do I need a lift? Do I need to take off the muffler piping?
5. I see your is the 2nd generation and it appears to be on the passenger side. Is the panel for the 2007 on the driver's side?

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@aeorn The part number is 2L1Z18476CA, assuming yours is the same as mine. According to parts.ford.com, it looks like Ford discontinued it, but there are aftermarkets on Rock Auto and Napa and probably others. Doesn't look too spendy. Good luck, and please let us know how this turns out for you.