Correct Idler Arm Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 99' XLT 4x4 with some squeaky ball joints... So upon shopping around, I'm going to buy the front suspension kit from 1aauto.com (1997-2002 Ford Expedition 4WD Front Suspension Kit (with 3.43" Bolt Pattern Idler Arm) at 1AAuto.com or 1997-2002 Ford Expedition 4WD Front Suspension Kit (with 2.48" Bolt Pattern Idler Arm) at 1AAuto.com).

Now it shows two different bolt patterns for the idler army, 2.48" and 3.43". I don't intend on replacing it, but I might as well buy the right one in case I ever need it...

Does anyone know an easy way to check what size mines is?

Thanks all.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would say that you probably need to get under it and measure the length of that idler arm. If you are going to change out the steering components, you may as well do that idler arm too.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
I'm under the impression that it's the same length, but different size bolt pattern? Is that correct?

I would say that you probably need to get under it and measure the length of that idler arm. If you are going to change out the steering components, you may as well do that idler arm too.

B

bedrck46

you would measure the distance from center to center of the two mounting bolts.
You should be able to tell the difference as they are about an inch difference

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Ok, measured it, mines is 3.43" (the one that's out of stock)... But damn, I just checked, 1aauto wants to add $110 for shipping... Looks like I'll be trying to find this stuff locally or another site.