Cracked windshield at 175 miles....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Julijn, I go an almost identical crack a few weeks ago (13,000 km though)! The rock hit within an inch of the bottom edge, but I think it took a week before the cracks appeared. I wasn't able to find the impact point originally when I heard the rock hit...

Not looking forward to the replacement cost. I'll have to start looking through my insurance docs to see what's up. $300 for calibration? That's for the lane-keep system I guess? Double ouch.

This after putting 170k kms on my 2006 Expy and never replacing the glass once.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to investigate "zero deductible" glass coverage under your comprehensive coverage. It covers all windows, (outside) mirrors, and (most importantly) headlights, tail lights and fog lights. Last time I looked at my policy it was something like $70/yr. which is way less than the deductible for a windshield, headlight, dimming side-view mirror, or taillight would be. And, IF I need to make a claim, I get that much back from the windshield company I use to replace my windshield. They use OEM glass, not the wavy, optically-distorted stuff Safelite pushes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to be a rascal bash it with a bat or big breaker bar, and tell insurance your SUV was vandalized. Kids in the neighborhood, you didn't hear it here, but that way insurance pays, and goes under your comprehensive coverage which usually has little to no deduction. That and most don't raise your premium.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got these two filled yesterday. In Calgary, it a futile effort to keep front glass nice. Have a bunch of pits already.

My F150 went 7 years without a crack, but plenty of chips.

0a971d90e71972c7395d12382a89a3d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
If you want to be a rascal bash it with a bat or big breaker bar, and tell insurance your SUV was vandalized. Kids in the neighborhood, you didn't hear it here, but that way insurance pays, and goes under your comprehensive coverage which usually has little to no deduction. That and most don't raise your premium.

My insurance company loves me tor using my comprehensive when I had bad diesel from a service station.

$14k check cut to fix a 2007 lol. Good thing I was the one who did all the work so I paid myself the labor at $150 per hr.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Normal "comprehensive" carries a deductible. Vandalism will be covered, but you'll have to pay the deductible which is what you picked for your policy...a zero-deductible glass breakage rider is as it says, zero-deductible, covering by vandals, errant rocks, or road debris 100%. In Phoenix where I live it is a no-brainer--you have high odds of damage from road debris and on occasion even bullet(s).

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most insurance does NOT cover glass unless you specifically request glass coverage, and even then it generally has a $250 or $500 deductible. It’s a good thing that Union Labor sticker prevented that crack from growing :)

You can blame EPA regulations which demand unreasonable MPG for all new trucks. The only way manufacturers can meet these unrealistic MPG numbers is with gimmicky features like Start/Stop, and lightening every single component. In this case, the windshield. Today’s windshields are manufactured thinner than ever before.

I’d say keep an eye on it. Take a photo with your phone and compare it in a few weeks. If the crack grows, replace the windshield, but doing so for strictly aesthetic purposes, it’s going to cost you.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Arizona has occasional bullets? And I thought Oakland across the bay from me was rough!