crankshaft front seal - socket to tap in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ball joint socket would y'all order to tap in a front cankshaft seal? I tried to tap it in with me and my wife using flat blades and tape on the ends, trying to be as even as possible but it was a complete failure. I don't own any sockets larger than 32mm, which is no where near large enough.

I just need a cheap socket that is about the same size, i'm at work and can't measure but i'd like to get this ordered so that I can try again tomorrow or the next day.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might try using a pipe coupler in the size you need. I don't know the size of the seal but you can take to your local hardware sore and match it up . Alot cheaper and you may be even able to return it if not buggered up. I have used them for many seal installs. plus you can add a piple nipple to get it out in the open, also use a pipe cape to give you a flat surface to hammer on.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You might try using a pipe coupler in the size you need.
If the couplings or caps in the hardware store say C H I N A on them, sort through them to find one with a smooth flat end surface against a countertop. Many are wonky as that doesn't matter in plumbing and you need a pretty flat one. The domestic ones are flat level and square.

OP
OP
Andy Rubalcaba

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it was pretty tricky but I got the seal in there, used the old seal as someone suggested via PM, used the old one with a rag in between and tapped it down with wood over top. seems pretty good, now I can move on with the project :)