Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been a while since ive been on here. Been playing too much golf and not getting online much. Haha
Anyways, ive got an issue with my cruise control not working. It was working, and it recently stopped. Checked the fuses, and all are fine. All the buttons light up, etc… I just discovered that I also have a leaking master cylinder. I have read that the two can be connected as there is a cruise control switch connected to the master cylinder. Does anyone have any experience with this? New master cylinder is ineviteable as mine is leaking, but will I also need to replace the speed sensor computer as well?
Trucks an 02 Thanks.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a recall for the leaking cruise deactivation switch on the M/C. If you hve not had it done DO IT NOW the leak can short out and burn your expy up. if it has then check the jumper harness that was installed it has fuses in it that blow if the switch leaks and shorts. check the connector at the switch on the M/C for leakage.

OP
OP
TheGuyWho

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a recall for the leaking cruise deactivation switch on the M/C. If you hve not had it done DO IT NOW the leak can short out and burn your expy up. if it has then check the jumper harness that was installed it has fuses in it that blow if the switch leaks and shorts. check the connector at the switch on the M/C for leakage.

Do you have pictures of where exactly everything is located?

And how do I figure out if mine is eligeable for the recall or not?

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no I dont but it is on the very front top of master cyl. it screws in and has a 2 wire connector. if it has a flat connector the both sides sqeeze in to release it that is the original style switch. if it is like a rounded sqrare and only one tab must be pushed it is the new style and does not need switched. if you have the old style and a jumper wire with zip ties the recall has been done. it has a fuse or fuses built in it. if you have a leak in the switch connector you need a new switch and need to test the jumper harness for a blown fuse. I would call your local dealer[ or stop by] and give the service dept your vin and tell them if it is leaking[even if it has already been done] and ask if this is covered under the recall.

OP
OP
TheGuyWho

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, mine looks like this…

4ee10236.jpg
92362b8b.jpg
5d240c98.jpg

And there was no recall listed for my vehicle on Ford's website. So this is supposed to mean that mine has been done already. But from what ive been reading up on there are actually two separate fixes for the recall itself. One was the actual sensor, and one was the inline breaker fuse. It looks to me like my truck has the same "old" sensor that it came with (which is what was responsible for catching fire) and it now has the inline breaker fuse attached.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My cruse quit working on my 97 f150. Same deal I checked the fuses and all looked good. Well I noticed that the reservoir was over full. So I wicked out some fluid with a red shop rag and now it works again. Don't know why but I ain't complaining.

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depended on the dealer.. Ford's fix was to add the inline fuse and thus IF the issue did occur, it blew the fuse and they werent liable for burning your ride to the ground.. However, if the dealer knew you, some would replace the switch. By the way, the Red one was the "bad" switch, the replacement is black. I have had the fuse installed on 2 trucks, but the dealer replaced the switch on our 04 Freestar at the time.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes yours has the old switch and has the fused jumper on it. pull the connector off is there brake fluid leaked into the connector? if there is then replace the switch [will be new style with a jumper harness]. try it with the fuse jumper in place if it works then ok it not by pass the fuse jumper and try if that fixes it the fuse is blown in the jumper. if not you have another problem.