Dash Board/Instrument Panel lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurgenraider

Reaction score
The check engine light (CEL) on my 98 4.6L Exp is not coming on at start and is not coming on when there are 6 or so codes in the system. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Are there any other sources of problems before I pull off the dash and replace the bulb?

Thanks

riccoh

Reaction score
most likely the CEL bulb has been removed from the panel and/or is burnt out, if I remember correctly this are the #71 penut bulbs, you will have to remove the dash panels, and change that little bulb, i will sugest that once the panel is off alse replace all 5 194's bulbs that are there for the illumination.

OP
OP
Kurgenraider

Kurgenraider

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Good idea on the others.

Any trick on removing the panels?

riccoh

Reaction score
you need to find the tutorial I know is aroung here somewhere, the first thing is the pesky headlight switch, then a few screws and pop out the radio bezel and you willbe able to get to the remainding screws, just remember that if the PATS system is operational (acording to the manual) do not desconect the inst panel until the battery has been disconected, and the brake pedal is press for a few seconds or you inst panel / pATS wont work and u wont be able to start the rig