Dashboard dimmer switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murmaider2

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum, and two weeks since an owner of a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4.

I'm not sure if I'm simply not using it right, or there is an issue with it, but the little roll switch that dims the backlights for the entire dashboard has been giving me some issues. None of the interior lights work unless the switch is rolled all the way up until it clicks into place, however when it is in that position, the courtesy lights on the door panels and on the running boards do not want to turn off even if you turn off the engine and lock the car.

All help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

barigyasi

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is wired that way, i could be wrong, but when you move that roller all the way up and it clicks, that turns on all the inside lights, including the door panel lights, and it would stay on until you turn them back down by rolling it back to the off position.

Edit:

Do you map lights come on without the switch being on?
I do have an XLT so it might be different

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

murmaider2

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is wired that way, i could be wrong, but when you move that roller all the way up and it clicks, that turns on all the inside lights, including the door panel lights, and it would stay on until you turn them back down by rolling it back to the off position.

Edit:

Do you map lights come on without the switch being on?
I do have an XLT so it might be different

Without the dimmer being in the all the way up and clicked position, none of the interior lights will work. The switches for the map lights simply don't do anything. When you roll the dimmer all the way up, only then the switches for the map lights turn them on and off. They don't respond to the doors opening or closing either.

Another question that should be asked is do you have a constant door ajar light on?

I do not, funnily enough that only blinks on sometimes when you accelerate hard.

barigyasi

Reaction score
Without the dimmer being in the all the way up and clicked position, none of the interior lights will work. The switches for the map lights simply don't do anything. When you roll the dimmer all the way up, only then the switches for the map lights turn them on and off. They don't respond to the doors opening or closing either.

I do not, funnily enough that only blinks on sometimes when you accelerate hard.

ahh okay, well I have no idea what it could be man, sorry! hopefully someone else will have some more tips!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I would start by WD-40'ing each door latch and see if that helps. I used to have a sensor that was sticking, giving the door ajar quite often.

Myfender

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue in my 2011. Expedition did you ever get this resolved?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just tried mine, I have one year older Eddie. Mine brings up the brightness on radio and dash, right before it pops on back some lights above rear doors. Check all your fuses not only for continuity, but power on both sides of fuse. You may have a bad switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myfender

Reaction score
they work when the doors open and remote unlock but to push button to turn on light on and off you have to move the dash dimmer switch to full bright. I will double check the fuses, seemed to start after replacing build with led, probably need to go back to standard bulb

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt