Dashboard Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with a 5.4, 2wd, tow package, no navigation.

I had an issue this summer. I got the D262 DTC along with the overcharge DTC. It's not the first time I've gotten the D262 error which appears to be a general SCP (serial communication protocol) error.

The day after I saw the service engine soon light I was planning to drive across PA. Since I'd already seen the D262 DTC and had installed a new alternator within a couple months I figured the light was bogus so I headed out across I-80. I got a little more than halfway across PA when I noticed issues. Long story short, I was putting over 16 volts into the battery which responded by boiling. I nursed it the rest of the way to my destination by connecting and disconnecting the alternator as necessary.

Skipping over the unnecessary details I believe at least part of the problem WAS a connection problem BUT something was also going on with the dashboard and that's what I haven't figured out yet. Twice I've had the dashboard die, all the gauges and lights go dead. The first time it happened was during the trip across PA when I was dealing with the overcharge issue as well. The dash was dead for a period of time then came back. After I got the Expy back from being 'fixed' I headed to Florida. I babied it (not using cruise or A/C) all the way down and had no problems. Since it behaved on the way to Florida I decided to try using the cruise on the way back north. Once the tranny downshifted to 3rd on a hill, the first time it needed to hit 3rd since I left PA, hit about 3000 rpm and the dash died, then immediately recycled and was fine. Needless to say I didn't use the cruise on the rest of the trip and had no more issues. At no point during all this did the expy miss a beat. I'm not sure if there might be a connection between engine rpm and the dash dying except that, possibly, a sudden spike in engine rpm might also represent a sudden spike in voltage from the alternator. BTW, I did replace the alternator when I got back from Florida. I think there were issues with the one I put on the Expy earlier in the summer.

I did a search on dashboard and dash here and on Google but got nothing that seemed useful in my situation. Anyone got any suggestions? It almost acted like a circuit breaker had tripped then reset.

I'm heading back down to Florida next week, pulling the same trailer. When I get close to my destination I'll likely tempt fate and run it on cruise, or make it kick down manually to see what happens.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you remember what brand of alternator you used, and was it a 110 amp alternator ? Or did you try to use a 135 amp alternator ?

OP
OP
Noitidepxe

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
Do you remember what brand of alternator you used, and was it a 110 amp alternator ? Or did you try to use a 135 amp alternator ?

I didn't see your reply till now.

I didn't specify an amperage, I just asked for a replacement for my model. The first replacement as a Motorcraft (which failed), the second was from Autozone.

Now that you've mentioned it I'll do some research and see what it is. Thanks.