death wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a similar problem but it doesnt happen all the time. i changed out my idler arm and still have the problem. next is going to be my half shaft on passenger side.

OP
OP
C

corrdad

Reaction score
update

the truck is back at the shop today to have the alignment checked, i too think it is a camber/caster problem as i have checked and or replaced everything else. i had the tires balanced to take that off the table also.

i should have word later today and i will let everyone know.

i do appreciate all the posts and all the help.

OP
OP
C

corrdad

Reaction score
update

i just got word that the alignment seems to be the issue.

seems the first person who aligned the truck was not capable and caused the problem.

they are fixing now and i should have my truck back and wobble free tomorrow.

i will post a final update after I test drive her.

OP
OP
C

corrdad

Reaction score
well as sad as i am to say, it turned out the upper a arms had been installed on the wrong sides and that caused the issue, and yes i must admit i did that myself.

lesson learned.

OP
OP
C

corrdad

Reaction score
mystery solved

well as sad as it is to admit I found the issue giving me the death wobble.

seems when I was installing my new upper a arms on my truck I put them on the wrong side, right on left and left on right.

so in short I caused it myself.

all fixed now.

thanks for all the help, sorry to have been the cause of my own issue.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never a problem might help someone in the future... glad you got it all fix

Exped4X4

Reaction score
I too have experienced the "death wobble" and it was something I hope I don't have to go thru ever again. I have a 2001 XLT with about 119k miles on it. I started getting the death wobble a few months ago. I found out my inner / outer tie rods both right and left fronts were bad. So loose you could grab them and wiggle / giggle them around, real easily (NOT COOL). Then my idler arm was shot as well. Once I got all new tie rods, idler arm, wheel balance, and front end alignment done, no more death wobble.