Deciding between selling or trading in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LUV45ACP

Reaction score
I have a 2014 XLT 4X4 with 145K miles, the heavy duty tow package, and 3.73 gears. Red with gold trim and tan leather. It has everything but a sunroof and CD changer. The body is in great shape, with a new front bumper cover and grill (thanks to a doe in February). Replaced the O2 sensors, with spacers on the upstream side, in March. Off-road tires with about 70% tread. I would drive it anywhere. I don’t want to sell it, but it is 25 miles one way to work and I need something more economical. How much do you think?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it depends on options, overall mechanical and physical condition and if the deer incident shows up on Carfax or not. 145K is on the high side for mileage as there are a lot of 13s and 14s for sale with less miles and many are Limited's. If it is in really nice condition, with good options, you might be able to get somewhere in the 12 - 14 range, but that is a guess without seeing it. Obviously you will get more selling privately, but will you get enough more to offset the sales tax difference? The dealer won't resell a 2014 vehicle with 145K miles, they will wholesale or auction it, so their price to you will prolly be in the 8 - 9 range.

OP
OP
LUV45ACP

LUV45ACP

Reaction score
Those are the thoughts running around in my head right now. The truck is in great shape, and I hate to part with it, but it all comes down to gas mileage. I’m spending between three and four hundred dollars a month for gas.

Thank you taking the time to give me such a cogent response!

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '14 EL LTD, and I would hate to part with it as well. I'm just over 100K and have no plans to sell. I think I would look into a smaller hybrid with gas/electric drivetrain for work, and keep the Expedition for real travel. I'm not comfortable driving those tiny little shitboxes, but I think there are better, as in bigger, hybrid options. Just my thoughts. Good luck...

DJ04

Reaction score
Sell, trade in, or keep spending $$ on it? I have a 2nd gen, very high mileage but from a real maintenance fanatic; however all sorts of charging system gremlins have surfaced. Do you think Ford electrical systems are somehow programmed to just fail after so many years? I think about "tiny little shitboxes" from time to time, but the idea does not thrill me too much. I also think that the math of the previous post makes a lot of sense.